cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Not As Described Buyer Claims Items Were Missing And They Only Received Part Of Their Order

I have thoroughly reviewed many many posts about Item Not As Described (INAD) Cases, but it seems this particular scenario may be a unique situation.

Scenario: A single listing for 5 like items is purchased. I did not offer returns on this listing. Customer reaches out and says only 2 of the items arrived. Customer insists the package was received undamaged and includes two photos showing the (2) items in front of/next to the 12"x16" poly mailer I sent the order in. I attempt to work with the customer, but they elect to open an Item Not Received (INR) case. I upload tracking and continue attempting to work with the customer. No response. Customer asks eBay to step in at the earliest opportunity, and case is decided in my favor. Customer follows up with INAD case. 

After seeking guidance from eBay, I was encouraged to message the buyer and provide photos and an explanation of what I have obtained thus far. In following through with this recommendation, I uploaded photos of the following:

1. From my local post office, I acquired a tracking report showing it was shipped at 1lb 15oz (two of said item would have been able to ship 1st class). 

2. I contacted their local post office and they conducted a package search investigation. A couple days later I received an email with the findings stating, "This package was GEO tracked, scanned and delivered to the correct address. Possible theft involved. The customer will need to contact the sender about this issue." 

3. My neighbor sent me footage from their security camera and I uploaded a screen capture from it. While you can see the overstuffed bag of packages that went out that day hanging from my mailbox, unfortunately it was too blurry to clearly show the customers package sticking out of the top. 

4. Two photos which the customer sent to me when they first reached out. I uploaded these and explained that with such a large poly mailer, if I had only sent two items, I would have rolled up the mailer around them and taped up the ends so it would not be a loose bag in shipment. I also pointed out the mailer has obvious stretchmarks outlining where each of the 5 items made an impression on the poly mailer. Although these might be subjective/qualitative details, once these details are pointed out, I feel it is quite obvious I did not short this order.

I do not want to debate/comment my thoughts on whether the contents were stolen, or if the customer is not being truthful. What I will say is, I am a bit of an "everything" seller, and, in addition to the above evidence, I have several very concrete memories related to packing this order because I had a rather eclectic day of sales, and made several silly jokes/stories intertwining the items. In brief, I shared this tidbit with the customer as well.

In any case, I realize I have certainly spent entirely too much time "fighting" this than the order is worth. Perhaps I should have simply offered a return from the get-go, or at any other point along the way. I only started selling in January, so I am relatively new, and obviously have a lot of learning/growing to do. This includes taking steps to implement more CYA in my shipping process (i.e. buying my own cameras). This obviously does not change the current situation.

I am sharing all of this for two reasons:

1) I would like to know if anyone has any guidance on what else I can add before tomorrow's deadline (18 May).

2) For anyone else in the future who may find themselves in a similar situation seeking guidance on what to do.

Thank you in advance for any advice and/or shared wisdom. I will of course provide updates as this situation plays out.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item Not As Described Buyer Claims Items Were Missing And They Only Received Part Of Their Order

Final Follow Up...

2/5 Items Arrived.

I reported the buyer and appealed the defect. In doing so I cited relevant policies, and requested reimbursement of the order cost. 

Defect was removed, and I was reimbursed by ebay for the full order amount.

Here are my takeaways:

1) Yes, if a buyer files INAD, it is in your best interest to accept the return. BUT IT DOES NOT END THERE.

2) eBay's goal is to end this quickly and work the rest out later. Do your best to make that happen, but depending on your situation, you may want to wait out the clock while you gather any info you may need later.

3) eBay WILL have your back if you have informed yourself well, and used policy to advocate for yourself. That said, "Having your back" in no way shape or form involves the customer. This is behind the scenes, and is not about "winning" or ebay being "For" or "Against" you as a seller.

4) Seek guidance from others, but more importantly; inform yourself. I think this thread has highlighted that too few people share anything about the process that comes AFTER accepting an INAD return. It seems to end at "accept it and be thankful you only lost $99 and not $100."

5) Perhaps a "conspiracy" but I will say, from the moment that case was filed, it seemed the traffic to my store practically ceased to exist. While that case was lingering, I had the absolute worst 2 weeks of sales. I went from 3-6 orders a day to 1-2 sales and a even a day with no sales. There could be a lot of different reasons for this, but even the potential it was connected is enough to tell me to accept an INAD as quickly as possible (while still taking time needed to get the ball rolling on acquiring anything I may need later to fix any damage to my account health).

At the end of the day, you have to decide what you can afford to do as a seller. I just started in January, and I did not feel I was in the position to lose the money from the sale. In reality, I most definitely lost more money focusing on this, where I could have spent that time listing items. I wouldn't change the overall course of action I took, but I would not spend nearly as much time focusing on it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Item Not As Described Buyer Claims Items Were Missing And They Only Received Part Of Their Order

Did their post office say possible theft involved? Or did I read that wrong? I would hope these people are honest and are not reporting fake news. I hope everything works out!  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@invigoratedtreasures 

If they have filed an INAD now, which is the right type of case, you only have two choices.

Refund the buyer and let them keep the items.

Accept the return, provide return shipping and refund once something is returned.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

do not let it go to the deadline. eBay will step in and refund the buyer who will also keep your items AND you will get a seller defect on your account.

2 choices, no matter what proof you have, refund and let them keep everything OR accept the return and sent a shipping label - then refund after you receive items.

Nothing you have uploaded will have eBay rule in your favor, thats not how this works. eBay doesnt look at anything. Once the 18th arrives and the buyer asks eBay to step in, you loose

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. So if I offer the return, what do I do when/if they send just the two? This is a craft item, and I suspect they have already started using it.  Am I able to partially refund based on what is not received? Is there any recourse, other than reporting them for abuse?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Nope.  You can't partially refund, you must refund the entire purchase, even if they send you a brick or the 2 items they claim they received.  

You can't 'prove' you sent 5 items, so ebay will always side with the buyer, until they don't and the 'buyer' is suspended.  

It's what we agreed to when we sell on this platform. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

*UPDATE*

The buyer responded simply saying each of our "Stories" makes sense, and asked, "Now What?". I copy pasted from my original message where I had asked her to do two things:

1) I asked her if she or a neighbor had security cameras that may have footage of any criminal activity

2) I requested a photo of the items received with their respective labels (this would help me establish if she had started using them, and I could see the unique identifiers). 

The customer followed up by contacting ebay without responding to me. Now the case reason shows as "You can't work things out with the buyer".  At the top it says:

Here's the case outcome

We asked the buyer to return the item for a refund.

When tracking details show that the item is delivered, we'll issue a refund to the buyer on your behalf.

Below this it indicates a return request was initiated and there's a blurb from her saying she wants a refund and thinks items may have been stolen on the way to her house.  Additionally, a hold was placed again for the transaction amount.

I also got a message saying they have to send it by June 2nd or the case will close. 

I suppose now I wait, but I don't see anywhere that tracking would populate. Good news (so far) is I don't see a defect on my account. I tried to reach out to ebay and ask about some confusing things about the way all this shows up in the seller hub, and where I'll be able to see the tracking, but it's only giving me the option to email, no options to chat or receive a call.

I will continue updating, but certainly open to more shared perspectives/experiences. Thank you all again!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Final Follow Up...

2/5 Items Arrived.

I reported the buyer and appealed the defect. In doing so I cited relevant policies, and requested reimbursement of the order cost. 

Defect was removed, and I was reimbursed by ebay for the full order amount.

Here are my takeaways:

1) Yes, if a buyer files INAD, it is in your best interest to accept the return. BUT IT DOES NOT END THERE.

2) eBay's goal is to end this quickly and work the rest out later. Do your best to make that happen, but depending on your situation, you may want to wait out the clock while you gather any info you may need later.

3) eBay WILL have your back if you have informed yourself well, and used policy to advocate for yourself. That said, "Having your back" in no way shape or form involves the customer. This is behind the scenes, and is not about "winning" or ebay being "For" or "Against" you as a seller.

4) Seek guidance from others, but more importantly; inform yourself. I think this thread has highlighted that too few people share anything about the process that comes AFTER accepting an INAD return. It seems to end at "accept it and be thankful you only lost $99 and not $100."

5) Perhaps a "conspiracy" but I will say, from the moment that case was filed, it seemed the traffic to my store practically ceased to exist. While that case was lingering, I had the absolute worst 2 weeks of sales. I went from 3-6 orders a day to 1-2 sales and a even a day with no sales. There could be a lot of different reasons for this, but even the potential it was connected is enough to tell me to accept an INAD as quickly as possible (while still taking time needed to get the ball rolling on acquiring anything I may need later to fix any damage to my account health).

At the end of the day, you have to decide what you can afford to do as a seller. I just started in January, and I did not feel I was in the position to lose the money from the sale. In reality, I most definitely lost more money focusing on this, where I could have spent that time listing items. I wouldn't change the overall course of action I took, but I would not spend nearly as much time focusing on it.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

"I did not offer returns on this listing."

Sorry -- that's the point at which I stopped reading your post.

ALL eBay buyers are covered by the Money Back Guarantee.  That means that, if the buyer opens an item not as described case, eBay requires the seller to send a prepaid return label and refund in full when the item is received back.  Or, if the seller does not do that, eBay can and will refund that buyer from the seller's funds and allow the buyer to keep the item.

If you were not aware of that, then you really need to stop and read the MBG which is seen in every listing.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I think you need to read my latest update.  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Glad to hear you were refunded.  Still stand by my statement:  You cannot state "no returns" on eBay.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Was this a courtesy refund???

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: