cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess it is my turn to deal with a batch of sketchy claims and returns

I am a longtime seller that averages 4-6 returns per year. To get 4 in one week is a little disturbing but that is part of the game we all play here. All my returns are usually damaged packaging and are never INAD/SNAD.

Check out this batch of claims and return requests I received this week:

New in package plumbing fixture - buyer installed the item, did not like it and requested a return with the "did not like" reason. This is fine, at least they are paying for the return shipping.

Used parts/repair electronics - buyer claims that a small piece of the unit arrived detached. I requested a photo of the issue and was met with silence. I told the buyer to open a return request and would gladly provide a refund if the original item was sent back.

New sealed book - buyer claims upon unwrapping a factory sealed book, a strong cigarette smell was present. It is possible that the book had some kind of smell, but I highly doubt it was the odor of cigarettes or smoke. Brand new books tend to have particular scents. The book was stored in a closet for several months in a smoke free home. I would have noticed this issue if it was present. I guess I will have to aggressively sniff all books (even new) I sell from now on.

Used sporting equipment - buyer claims they received a damaged package. I ask for photos of the damage so a USPS claim can be initiated. Was told photos of the package or any other details could not be provided. Buyer provides sketchy photos of the damaged item. The item is the same model but the distinct wear and material construction differ from the item I sold. I'm bracing myself for the old switch-a-rooney or the package being sent to a nearby location.

I have a no return policy, and yes I know that means nothing. For me, I feel that it has been an effective deterrent in warding off potentially bad buyers over the years.  Usually I am able to take care of any transaction issues and do not have to involve Ebay. If this claim/return trend starts to get out of hand, I might consider switching to the return policy where the seller has the option to provide a partial refund (1/2?) in certain scenarios. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: I guess it is my turn to deal with a batch of sketchy claims and returns

I switched to No Returns years ago & don't regret it a bit. I get less than a handful of return requests each year, most are Buyer's Remorse (I sell clothing) because they didn't read the measurements, etc. 

Occasionally (like today) I get a Remorse claim where they assert INAD/SNAD.

I will ask for a detailed reason, if I screwed up I'll fix it but if you just don't like it, oh well. I'm not here to pay shipping so you can try on clothes. The amount of Sellers here who say to "just refund them" are adding to the problem. They are reinforcing the notion that we can all afford to suck up these costs and creating a culture of browsers rather than Buyers.  

In 15 years I have only lost 2 cases and both times were due to bad advice from the eBay CSR. 

I will fight a bad claim and I will bend over backwards to fix an error. I think too many new Sellers get bullied into offering refunds in fear of it damaging their reps if they refuse. Please keep your current policy & help stand up for Seller Protection 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@anything_goes_2005 wrote:

For me, I feel that it has been an effective deterrent in warding off potentially bad buyers over the years.  

Yeah, up until 4 or 5 years ago.

Now "no returns" is a magnet for crap buyers and scammers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I don't know if you have another account where you sell stuff. Usually when you have stuff for sale every day one will not run into these problems. Key words here is repeat buyers. Repeat buyers would be a little less with returns. These are the future repeat buyers. Always having stuff for sale and adding new stuff every week...yea...I know...every week..will help. Past buyers know we can block them from future buys. I never recommend having a few items for sale. Best to have a lot for sale and adding all the time.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: