cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all, I need some help. I personally look at eBay as my employer, they make money and

I make money.

I am bewildered at the fact that the customer is always in the right, when items are not store sold and we go by words only. 

Here is my issue. 

I sold a pair of glitter shoes for ladies. I included the original box, cleaned and Lysoled them before sending, and at about 1/5 the price. He decided the shoes advertised at 7.5 W, were not wide enough. NOT MY PROBLEM! Description is 100% correct. So around the first week of December, he opened a case, and wants a refund. He created a shipping label 3 weeks ago for the return, but dropped them off at the post office yesterday, December 26, leaving me zero time to re-sale again for Christmas or a New Years party. I will receive them Jan 5th, or before. He has sat on them for 3 weeks. If the description was correct, does eBay not defend the sale and stop this irritation ASAP?  Or does eBay just ignore my issues and help the buyer with big wide feet? 

We as sellers are held to a high standard to ship ASAP. But this buyer has cost me a sale. If I receive the shoes Jan 5th or before, I have to make a full refund, and I am not happy with that. I have always been happy with eBay, but this is not right for me and I feel eBay has let me down. I don't think I need the badger a buyer to ship ASAP. That is where eBay should step in with a 2 day return or else, penalty. I am verry disappointed. I already have one ding, trying to do the right thing, but no, I am still at fought. I welcome any good advice; the first stupid reply, I won't come back and read any reply's. I do not have time for bashing. If I expect too much, just say the truth. Should I have opened y own case? Anything information is helpful, so this does not happen again. Thanks all (I still love my eBay). 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hello all, I need some help. I personally look at eBay as my employer, they make money and

Ebay gives the buyer awhile to get the items shipped back and I don't know why, but a lot of buyers wait until the last minute to get them shipped back.

When a buyer files an INAD, not much the seller can do but accept the return and give a full refund when the item is returned.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote: ... I don't know why, but a lot of buyers wait until the last minute to get them shipped back....

So they can wear the shoes to Christmas parties before returning them!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@vehug-50 wrote: .... If the description was correct, does eBay not defend the sale and stop this irritation ASAP? ...

When a claim is filed, eBay usually sides with the buyer; it's just a cost of doing business on eBay. Perhaps  somebody will want them for Valentine's or some other special occasion?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote: ... I don't know why, but a lot of buyers wait until the last minute to get them shipped back....

So they can wear the shoes to Christmas parties before returning them!

Ya, that's what it sounds like.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Why is the Customer Always Right?

Companies are made or destroyed by their customers

You can make or ruin a company for many reasons, but the first one is that the customer is always right. There is a high expectation on the part of customers, and if these expectations aren’t met, customers are willing to take their business elsewhere.

There are adverse effects associated with backlash

Businesses can easily be destroyed by backlash, in particular when it occurs in the form of an online complaint. A single negative review can have a disastrous impact on the business in the long run. It is crucial that you keep your customers satisfied in order to prevent competitors from capitalizing on their potential discomfort.

Copied from:  Why is the Customer Always Right? The Origin and Meaning of this Philosophy (hostmerchantservices.co...

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Shoes and other clothing are the highest percentage of returned items on the planet.

As a online seller, returns are my problem here on eBay and elsewhere. Buyers have had the eBay MBG for what, 15 years or more? Returns are to be expected, does not matter how well a seller thinks they described an item. No buyer wants to be stuck with a product they can't use.

My wife bought me 2 new pairs of shoes for Christmas, both were size 9.5, the size I have worn for 50 years. Both pair will be returned as these particular brands ran smaller than normal. I can't wear the products.

Sounds like you may have lucked out and the buyer is paying return shipping. If so, good for you. 

Buyers have about 3 weeks to return items. On Amazon they have a month.

I don't sell clothing and have not had an eBay return in about 6 months. BUT,  received 2 returns on AMZ in the last 3 days. Do I feel AMZ has let me down? No, it is what I agreed to when I decided to sell on their site.

You have over 100 items listed and that is a lot of work. Best of luck on sales and returns going forward. Returns are inevitable. 

Posting ID
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

People are allowed to take as much times as they are given to return things... that's how it works anywhere. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

We sellers empathize. Hang in there.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I'm sorry but you are very mistaken if you honestly believe "when items are not store sold and we go by words only". Buying online is the way of the future and is treated EXACTLY like buying in person. This platform offers a 30-day money back guarantee to all buyers.  Once you understand that, along with understanding all of the policies for eBay, and the realization that an item that sold once will sell a second time, you will be successful at selling online. Best of luck to you....

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

eBay is not your employer, you are in business, eBay is the platform for that business along with millions of others, nothing more, nothing less.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Shoes are trouble to sell mail order as they have to fit.   No two pairs ever do even in the same brand , style and size.    You are not employed by eBay.   You lease space on their selling platform.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Ebay gives the buyer awhile to get the items shipped back

Too much time.

It needed to go back to pre-endtimes deadlines like a year ago

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

Buying online is the way of the future and is treated EXACTLY like buying in person. 

If that was true I would never refund anyone.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Ebay gives the buyer awhile to get the items shipped back

Too much time.

It needed to go back to pre-endtimes deadlines like a year ago

The only direction eBay will move timeframes for returns to be shipped will be to 30 days from the 21 or so buyers have now. 

It is only a matter of time until they match AMZ.

Posting ID
Message 15 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: