cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay agent asking for my personal data when trying to return an item?

Been buying on Ebay for almost 12 years now. Am a Veteran. Bought a lot of cool stuff on here. Also bought a lot of duds on here. What I mean is, defective electronics, counterfeit goods, etc. You already know. Wasn't so bad before 2020, but since 2020 I've had a huge increase in returns due to shady sellers. Honestly a good third of things I buy on here don't work out and get returned. It's a lot but what am I to do, pay for trash and be a fool?

Downside to buying online, I don't know what I'm getting until it gets here. Cheaper sure, but it's a gamble. Used to be a very legit auction website, not so much anymore. Less humane, much more mass sellers. Anyways, for a few years I've had this "unusual activity detected" when I try to open a return I assume that means I'm returning too much of this cheap broken garbage that was sold to me by a "top-rated seller" that pays fees to hide their negatives. Okay so sellers have turned to scams to make money on Ebay, or I just fall for it too easy. Either way I'm not paying for that, I am adamant on returning fraud items. It's not like I'm just wasting my time and money on purpose, I just receive a lot of falsely advertised product. So now for several years I have a unusual activity mark that's fine, I know me. Not doing anything wrong on my end. Only had 1 warning from Ebay about 3 years ago, and at that point just shopped elsewhere for a while. 

Anyways, for a couple years now, I do not return it myself, I ask always for an agent to help with returns so that is documented in the system that I am not doing any funny stuff, with pictures and everything. Strange thing is the last 3 returns I've had to make in these last oh 2 weeks or so (out of 10 items 3 got return in 2 weeks), I've been asked for my full name, address, email address, and phone number by the agent. What is happening here? My account is secure and validated with 2FA, and have never had a breech. The agent always says it's for my security but I am secure. Does anyone know why Ebay has suddenly started asking for my personal info whenever I try to return something? The agent helping me never wants to answer when I ask there so I came here to see if anybody else is having this issue? Anything I can do to fix it?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay agent asking for my personal data when trying to return an item?

@andymccormicklol 

Do not call any supposed eBay phone number you found on the internet.  There is not a valid phone number for eBay.

The system is automated.  No need to contact the seller or eBay to start a return. 

Go to your eBay Purchase History and open a return case.
Find the item in your Purchase History and press the big, blue 'Return this item' button. Select "Item is Not as Described" as the reason for the return.

If it requires you to upload a photo to the return case you will need to do that.

Seller will be required to provide a prepaid shipping label IF they want the item back before refunding. Send the item back with the prepaid return label.

When the return tracking shows delivered back to the seller, the seller will have 2 days to inspect and refund your purchase. If that does not happen, on day 3 there will be an "Ask eBay to Step In", option for you to click on. EBay will refund your money.

If seller does not send a return label within 3 days and the "Ask eBay To Step In" option is not available, you will have to contact eBay. Contact eBay thru Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/
Using the instant messaging and explain that the seller has not provided a return label.

Under NO circumstances do you close the return before getting your refund, REGARDLESS of what the seller might tell you.

Come back here with any or all questions you might have throughout this process.

Posting ID

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Is it an unwritten rule that veterans always have to mention they are a veteran?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I have not heard of an eBay agent to help with returns, but I’m fascinated.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

3 returns in two weeks is alot in my opinion. I know Amazon has cracked down on habitual returns. I am guessing Ebays flags are going off with your recent flurry of returns. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Since you have been here 12 years, it seems like you  would be aware of the Money Back Guarantee.

You have no need to contact an eBay agent.  Just open a case. 

What does "You already know" mean? We cannot/do not access your account information.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

How did you contact this agent?

If it was through a number you found on google, you were taking to a scammer.

Also, why are you not filing your own disputes? Whatever happens in the disputes is on record, vs when you talk to the phone CSRs there’s a 50/50 chance they’re not even listening…

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@andymccormicklol 

Do not call any supposed eBay phone number you found on the internet.  There is not a valid phone number for eBay.

The system is automated.  No need to contact the seller or eBay to start a return. 

Go to your eBay Purchase History and open a return case.
Find the item in your Purchase History and press the big, blue 'Return this item' button. Select "Item is Not as Described" as the reason for the return.

If it requires you to upload a photo to the return case you will need to do that.

Seller will be required to provide a prepaid shipping label IF they want the item back before refunding. Send the item back with the prepaid return label.

When the return tracking shows delivered back to the seller, the seller will have 2 days to inspect and refund your purchase. If that does not happen, on day 3 there will be an "Ask eBay to Step In", option for you to click on. EBay will refund your money.

If seller does not send a return label within 3 days and the "Ask eBay To Step In" option is not available, you will have to contact eBay. Contact eBay thru Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/
Using the instant messaging and explain that the seller has not provided a return label.

Under NO circumstances do you close the return before getting your refund, REGARDLESS of what the seller might tell you.

Come back here with any or all questions you might have throughout this process.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for being that 1 in 10 rare good guy. The rest seem to be useless eaters.

The agent called me from Ebay yes that is correct never from outside Ebay.com.

I learn a few helpful thing here from you thank you again for the assist my friend.

Your help will be useful for future returns when needed. 

🙂

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Is it an unwritten rule that parents always have to mention how proud they are?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Help & Contact > Contact Us (scroll to bottom) > Choose a Topic > Chat with our Automated System > "Quickly get the help you need or we'll connect you to an agent"

Now you know Ebay offers help from agents 

🙂

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I had not thought it was a lot, but if Ebay has a flag system for that then now I know. I've never used Amazon, but I will try it out. 

Thank you for the help.

🙂

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I just usually prefer an Ebay agent to handle it for me, then there is no hassle of having to upload a picture of the broken item in question. And they are fast too, what would take me 15 minutes takes them 3 including wait time. They are also the most polite people I've met on this Earth, so it is always a genuine pleasure to speak with them.

To answer your question, that was not about my account information. Read it again like this; 

"What I mean is, defective electronics, counterfeit goods, etc. You already know."

So you already know that there will be the occasional bad guy seller, every website has them it's just the internet. Not as bad as the black market, but still I'm just saying every online shopper is to be aware of scam sellers. Surely you knew. If you've never been scammed by a seller on Ebay I'm very envious of your luck.

Thank you for the helpful reply. 

🙂

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I went to Ebay.com Help Center and requested an Ebay agent. Ebay has live chat agents available from 6am to 9pm daily.

Thank you for the helpful reply my friend.

🙂

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

"The rest seem to be useless eaters."  Sorry you did not like our advice, which actually was correct.  

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Pretty sure it's not a rule, unwritten or otherwise, but it does no harm to anyone for a parent to mention his/her pride in their offspring, does it?  

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: