cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged Return Without Original Packaging

I had a buyer claim that he received damaged contents, a few days after receiving shipment.

I had the package insured but he claims to have thrown the box and packaging away.  I asked multiple times that he dig it out of garbage, explained that I would need it to file an insurance claim.  I agreed to refund him, didn't see any resolve.  It just has not sat right with me since, I believe the product was dropped, judging by the pictures of the damage to the unit.  I have now included a shipping clause, in all of my listings that states returns must be returned in original box with original packaging.  Also, I plan to video all packaging up until the point that I hand it off to the carrier.  The buyer implied that I had sent a damaged item without saying it, which is untrue.  This incident cost me almost $400.00.

I feel if I had pushed the envelope, Ebay would have automatically refunded the buyer anyway, he filed "item not as described".  From what I have read Ebay does not protect the sellers as much as they protect the buyers.

How have others handled this type of situation in the past?  Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Damaged Return Without Original Packaging

@amyburgesscox wrote:

Thank You!

Any other suggestions?

Refund the buyer and write it off on your taxes.

Have a great day.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Great idea.  You have been helpful.

Many thanks!

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@amyburgesscox wrote:

For future reference, any options if buyer refuses to take to carrier for insurance inspection?

Nothing you can do.

Buyers are not required to help with insurance cases.

Have a great day.
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I understand.  Thank You!  😊 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Our company always makes a 1080 video recording whenever a package is opened or sealed. And prominently notates this memorialization on every invoice. 

Prior to us taking this precaution, several buyers lied about the contents of packages in attempts to defraud us, which failed every time (these dumb crooks always gave themselves away). But since we started making videos several years ago, not one such dispute has been made.

We also use many other proprietary security measures that have thus far completely eliminated successful fraud, although there is no guarantee that an enterprising thief will not ever breach them. After all, we are not Fort Knox. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Ebay requires a buyer to prove that an item was damaged prior to delivery. We have gone through this before with a fraudster who faked a damage claim in an attempt to keep a valuable rare coin without paying for it. We prevailed. 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Very helpful!

Many thanks!

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for the valuable information and being kind.

Have A Great Day!

Message 23 of 23
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: