cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested a return claiming the item had a defect which was false

Buyer purchased a top from me several weeks ago and requested to return the top today claiming there is a defect.  The defect she claims is that the top has a strong perfume odor and that she tried to air out the top but it still has the odor.  I messaged the the buyer explaining that the top had no odors when I packaged it to ship to her, and that it's impossible for the top to have a strong perfume odor since I don't wear perfume at all.  I suggested that she wash it and use distilled vinegar to remove any odors, but she replied that she would not be able to get the odor out therefore she wanted to return it.  I only accept returns if the item is not as described and I believe the top did not fit her so she's trying to return it for a full refund.  I tried to resolve the issue by offering her a partial refund and she can keep the top but she declined my offer.  What next?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer requested a return claiming the item had a defect which was false

If the buyer opens a not as described, defective or damaged return you have one of these options to choose from...

1. accept the return, issue the return label, wait for the item to be returned then refund.

2. accept the return, issue the full refund and let the buyer keep the item.  
3. allow eBay to step in, find in the buyers favor, they get a refund from your funds on hold, they get to keep the item, you get a lovely defect in your seller dashboard and metrics for not handling your returns.  
Not as described, defective and damaged are handled the same for MBG. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Continued.....I did report the buyer since she is claiming a defect that is false.  Does Ebay side with buyers that claim false defects?   The top is in excellent condition with no defects and is exactly as described.  The fact that she's not willing to try to get the (supposed) perfume odor out reaffirms my suspicion that the top probably does not fit her so she wants to return it for a full refund knowing I don't accept returns if items don't fit, therefore she had to come up with a defect to return it, and I'm sure the top would smell like perfume if she returned it because she sprayed it on it.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

What is MBG?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Money Back Guarantee 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

What are the MBG rules regarding perfume odors on garments?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

In this situation the best you can hope for is that the item is returned and there is nothing wrong with it, so you can resell it.

There is no better outcome. The rest is just banging your head against a wall.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Some people are more sensitive to certain odors than others. Not everyone is trying to scam you. You sell used clothing – this comes with the territory.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You can't win in this situation, even if the buyer were dishonest intentionally lying there is no way to prove that and they will win a "not as described" case like this with eBay every time.

They will get their money back one way or another, so quickly approve the return before eBay finds in their favor and you are out both your item and money, and hope it comes back to you as it was sent.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thank you all for your advice!  I did accept the return and now I'm waiting for the top to be returned, hopefully in the same condition I sent it.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Money Back Guarantee.  ALL sellers need to read it and understand how it works, preferably BEFORE beginning to sell here.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@offmyhanger You should never advise the buyer to alter the condition of an item unless you're an honest seller who knows you won't stand in the way of a refund regardless. Some sellers advise washing items or alterations in other ways and then turn around and use it against the buyer later to try blocking a refund. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You can’t win here, the buyers are as unscrupulous as ever. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: