cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER RETURNED DIFFERENT ITEM, EBAY SHRUGS IT OFF & DOES NOTHING

I think I am done with ebay after 20 years of being nothing but an honest hard working seller. I feel like I have a brick& mortar store in SF where theft is legal these days.

These alleged buyers & ebay clearly do not see how much these bogus returns cost us sellers, not only the cost of the item, the so called "Free Shipping" each way but also all of the listing, selling fees& even more if it was promoted (another ebay scam btw)

It's our families that take the real hit as it basically takes food& lifestyle options off the table.

I am a single Dad raising a 10 yr old daughter& include her in the business in so many ways from the purchasing to the shipping, she loves peeling the address labels& sticking them to the boxes...anywho...it is sad that I also have to teach her about being aware of blatant theft from not only some customers but also ebay& their blatant lack of respect for us & being complicit and covering for these thieves.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Can't be much other than a "he said/she said" policy. eBay's goal is to have buyers. We sellers are a dime a dozen.

Not that you or I would do it, but there would be sellers that would lie about the return if eBay was going to cover the $$.  eBay can't just accept the word of the seller. Too many bad apples for that.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Happened to me also twice in 6 months.I even told ebay it was going to be a fraud buyer..I sent Ups to pick up the item for insurance.but they would not let UPS pick up to be  inspected.They claimed it came broken..Then about 4 days later I get a empty box with the UPS receipt in the box  were they attempted to pick it up twice from the buyer.I know it's just so sad at least suspend the  buyers account for a month.I know how you feel.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Everything you said is understandable, but what do you expect eBay to do when trying to make a decision? How do you expect them to know who returned what and what was originally shipped to begin with? Would you buy from an online app/site like eBay if sellers were just allowed to claim you were lying to prevent a return and refund? 

Some sellers who qualify for the protection of being able to deduct up to 50% off a refund take advantage of that by lying when buyers return items. There are bad buyers and bad sellers, giving sellers the ability to accuse a buyer of returning a different item and denying the refund isn't going to accomplish anything but a loss of buyers for eBay.

Innocent buyers don't deserve to get caught up in that just like innocent sellers don't deserve it... but a choice has to be made... and when you're the seller and telling the truth you want it to be you... but when you're the buyer and telling the truth you also want it to be you. It all depends on which side you fall on in the transaction. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ebay Just needs to drop there so called Customer service..What are they good for anymore anyway...None of them have any common sense anyway.What Ebay told me it's just Business.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"Brick & mortar stores in SF where theft is legal these days".....I live there so it can happen anywhere where a million people live in a tiny area of a real city.

You live in a town...not even called a city of...1265 people. So...there's no comparison. Where everyone knows everyone in your town.

Returns...I had some...I got a dark plastic bag with something gooey in it not even the mailman would deliver it...I refused it at the post office since I sell postage stamps.

I just ignore it and move on....Why would I let a buyer stop me from selling?

We all sellers will have a few bad returns or buyers....but please don't use SF as an example if you don't really live there like I do.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: