cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a tracking number... but where?

Could someone help? I ordered a product, but unfortunately it's defective. The seller initially refused returns. I opened a case, and eBay compelled me to return it. They said I could choose my own carrier. I did so. I informed eBay, and they told me to add the tracking number on the product page. ("Order details page") However, I can't find an option for this anywhere on the product page. Could it be because the seller originally refused returns? Did I miss something?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Adding tracking details to your return helps protect against delays or issues in the refund process. If you use an eBay returns label, tracking details are automatically uploaded.

Here's how to add the tracking information to your return if you're using your own return shipping label:

1. Go to the return request in Purchase History.
  2. Select the shipping carrier from the dropdown list. If you select Other, enter the carrier name.
  3. Enter the tracking number.
  4. Select Mark as sent.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you! I received these steps from eBay colleagues as well, however, there is no such tab. Absolutely none on my end. The case has been opened, and you can view the details at the top of the page. 

"We are reviewing your return request. You can expect a response soon. See return details."

But there is no option anywhere else for returns. Nor is there a place for me to enter the tracking number for the return. 
I only see the tracking number that belonged to the product, the one I received. I cannot add it myself. There is no option for this on the product page either. I have notified eBay, and theoretically, they acknowledged the number, but I don't want this to be the reason I don't get my money back.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@nodika wrote:

Could someone help? I ordered a product, but unfortunately it's defective. The seller initially refused returns. I opened a case, and eBay compelled me to return it. 

By "eBay compelled me to return it" did you buy the return shipping yourself @nodika which is why you need to add your own return tracking number? If the seller provided the return from Hungary label, the tracking number is already in your return request.

Buyers can't add return tracking numbers

-- unless the return is stalled because the seller told eBay that they cannot issue a prepaid return label

-- and the seller sends cash to the buyer to buy the label and enter the tracking number.

teth_1615_0-1714175498301.jpeg

If it is the former, leave a private message here and tell eBay that return tracking number to add to your return.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The seller did not send me such a label. They simply (as prompted by eBay) asked for my PayPal number in a private message. Prior to this, I sought information from eBay customer service to confirm if this was acceptable. They assured me that I could also select and request the money. Eventually, I did so. I found a courier, calculated the cost, and requested payment, which the seller transferred, and then I shipped the package. I also recorded the packaging process on video, marked it to prove that I did not tamper with it afterward, and photographed the sticker affixed by the courier on the day of shipment. I sent all of these to the seller as well.

Since then, there has been one change: I received what seemed like a generated message from eBay, asking me to send it back and include the tracking number. I was puzzled. I corresponded with eBay twice. They acknowledged the anomaly and supposedly added the tracking number themselves.

ebaylevelwtf.jpg
However, it seems the previous anomaly has been resolved because after receiving the current automated email, I was able to officially attach the tracking number, as was previously mentioned here. (The package has been in transit for 3 days now, possibly even left the country). I hope everything will be fine now.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: