cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day return clock with shipping issues

Buyer ordered an expensive single light; Order date: August 12th. 

Shipped order the same day.  The item arrived at the address provided on Aug 16th.  However, the buyer provided an insufficient address (location had no mailbox) so the item returned back to me on Aug 25th. 

At the buyer's request, I re-sent the item (at my expense) to a PO Box on the on Sept 1st; The order delivered successfully on Sept 9th.  Customer didn't "find" the package until Sept 15th.  

On Sept 18, buyer stated they read my listing wrong, thought it was for a pair of lights.  Buyer wants to return the light. 

According to eBay the order is over 30 days old (8/12/23), so I think i have to option to decline the request to return. 

The buyer failed to read the listing as a single light correctly, then provided an unusable address.   I spent a total of $39 in shipping fees w/insurance and $53 in eBay fees.  Feeling petty, I don't want to grant the return/refund.  Since he didn't "technically" receive it until the 5th, I find myself in an ethical pickle.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, 

Nine Pieces of Eight

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: 30 day return clock with shipping issues

Yes you can refuse the return, just be aware the buyer can always go to Paypal, or his cc. you should have recharged him for that second shipment.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

However, the buyer provided an insufficient address (location had no mailbox) so the item returned back to me on Aug 25th.

If the item is Undeliverable, eBay does not require the selle r to refund anything at all.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer

Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup

Not covered
The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout

Not covered

Put the tracking information, including the fact that the address was incomplete and the item Undeliverable in the Claim.

They will lose the Claim.

You can then decide if ethically you owe them anything. Personally I would refund the purchase price, less my fees.

Block them.

Note that if you Respond to a Message the other member can continue to Message you for 30 days.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

They have 30 days from the delivery date  to return it, not the purchase date.

You accept returns so they can return it for any reason.

This is a buyer's remorse return where they pay return shipping. Tell them to return it for a refund  and since they made a mistake the return shipping is on them. Docking light not lights. Picture of one light not a pair.

When it is received back you must refund in full. (Had you charged for shipping you would be able to deduct the shipping) 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I believe it's true if they were claiming it was not received. I believe they can still open a return case.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

REFUND not RETURN.

The seller is not required to take returns.

The seller is required to make REFUNDS.

I am old and cranky.

But c'mon guys they aren't even spelled the same.

The Claim is for Not As Described and if the customer wins, they get a refund.

The seller is not required to send a shipping label. The seller is required to refund.

The buyer is not required to return the item. The seller is allowed to demand the return even if they have a No Returns policy.

WE MAKE REFUNDS.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: