cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting out Media Partial Sales

As a technical suggestion, I'm noticing that partial disc media sales (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, 4K, other media involved?) are happening at an ever increasing rate.   By "partial disc media sales", I mean sales that just involve a disc only, cover art or slip covers only, or a digital code only.  In other words, not the complete media item as it would have been purchased in a store or ordered New.  Now I'm not against this happening overall (and I've done it myself where the cases have gotten destroyed), but it does seem to be presenting some technical problems and causing some confusion.

1. How do you sort out these sales from the sales that include the complete package as originally sold?  I'm seeing two or three screens lately of partial media sales when I browse these kinds of items, making it hard to find the complete version.

2. This is going to skew ebay's product conditions.  Partial sales are definitely "less than acceptable" with those guidelines.

3. Naturally these things are being priced lower - the seller just tosses them in a 6x8 manila envelope throws a stamp on it with no tracking, and away they go with a much cheaper price overall.  This seems to be skewing the ebay stats regarding sales and averages that show up in terms of sold items.

4. Sellers tend to make their listings rather confusing so it's hard to tell sometimes exactly *what* they are offering.  With these partial sales, all I should realistically see is a picture of a disc (for instance), but a lot of sellers seem to be using the stock images showing the item as originally sold or images they took of another complete item.

So, thoughts and suggestions on fixing this, to at least sort out the partial media sales in the stats and on the search pages?  As a buyer, if I want the complete item, I definitely don't want to sort through tons of pages and hope I'm picking a seller that's indeed selling the complete item.  Course it doesn't help anyone on the selling end that has the complete item either as the partial items sales are definitely blocking out visibility in this regard.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I see just now that partial sales are happening in Games categories, too.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@2013grotz wrote:

By "partial disc media sales", I mean sales that just involve a disc only, cover art or slip covers only, or a digital code only.  In other words, not the complete media item as it would have been purchased in a store or ordered New. 

If your search is refined to the "DVD & Blu-ray Discs" category, and you see cover art, or slipcovers, those listings can be reported for listing in the wrong category. Every listing has a "report" option.

When reporting the listing, select these options:
1. Listing practices
2. Search and browse manipulation
3. Listing in an incorrect category
4. "Continue" to open Comment box and state that the item for sale is not a DVD.

Selling a digital code that was part of a DVD package is not allowed:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/electronically-delivered-items-policy...

"Not allowed - Digital copies or codes of movies that were included as part of purchasing a physical movie item. The seller needs to include the physical disk with the sale of the digital copy or code."

When reporting the listing, select these options:
1. Copyright and trademark
2. Bootleg records or unauthorized media
3. Unauthorized copies of media (music, movies, television programs and books)

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply