cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking obtrusive banner and sidebar info on community pages

Since the recent board changes, I've been using an adblocker to hide the massive banner and also the "Featured Posts"/"Unanswered Questions"/"Most Marked as Helpful Authors" sidebar sections whenever I view the community pages. For some reason this has stopped working for me in the past couple of days - I can still hide the features during a session, but they're reappearing the next time I log in. Does anyone know if this is a problem with my adblocker, or has eBay/Khoros changed something recently to circumvent the blocking of content?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Which ad blocker are you using?

I sometimes find that a particular page element does not get blocked by one or another ad blocker, or else it gets blocked initially but appears again later. Trying a different ad blocker often works better for me.

At the moment I have three different ad blockers installed in my main browser, though only one (Ad Block Plus) has an actual subscription list -- the other two (Ad Block and uBlock Origin) are just used for custom blocking rules.

Ad Block seems to work for me to block the large community page elements consistently, but in some cases I notice some other page element such as the "Load more" link at the bottom of the main community page stops working, and I have to disable Ad Block to get things to work properly. It is possible that my custom rule is just overly broad, or it may not be possible to block the banner without affecting other page elements, or there may be some other unwanted interaction with another plug-in; I have not investigated far enough to tell yet.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Which ad blocker are you using?

I sometimes find that a particular page element does not get blocked by one or another ad blocker, or else it gets blocked initially but appears again later. Trying a different ad blocker often works better for me.

At the moment I have three different ad blockers installed in my main browser, though only one (Ad Block Plus) has an actual subscription list -- the other two (Ad Block and uBlock Origin) are just used for custom blocking rules.

Ad Block seems to work for me to block the large community page elements consistently, but in some cases I notice some other page element such as the "Load more" link at the bottom of the main community page stops working, and I have to disable Ad Block to get things to work properly. It is possible that my custom rule is just overly broad, or it may not be possible to block the banner without affecting other page elements, or there may be some other unwanted interaction with another plug-in; I have not investigated far enough to tell yet.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Many thanks for the reply. I'm presently using Adguard. It has worked like a dream up to now, so it was an unwelcome surprise to find the elements appearing again. I guess it must be a problem at my end, I was just curious to know whether anybody else had experienced a sudden change. I'll try removing and reinstalling it to see if that works.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply