cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Banner Ad is Stuck On My eBay Page

Hello,

A Banner Ad is Stuck On My eBay Page.  It covers the top third of the page, blocking information I need.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for your time

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: A Banner Ad is Stuck On My eBay Page

I don't know what is this "ad" thing you speak of???

Kidding, but I don't see ads. Anywhere. Haven't for 15 years since I went medieval on them.

The people in the half dozen other threads on this topic seem to have settled on using adblockers (Adblock Plus, Adblock, uBlock Origin, etc) in their browsers as a solution until eBay gets things fixed.

Another option might be another toy I use called Nuke Anything Enhanced in Firefox. It allows you to right click and remove page elements or selection of elements. Basically a mouse driven way of editing the HTML. Doubt that it works in the newer Firefox Quantum versions, and no idea if it or something similar is available for other browsers like Chrome, IE, etc.

Along the lines would be using the browser built in web-developer to nuke the ad to get it out of the way, but that would require a bit of HTML knowledge to target the ad (once targeted you'd just right click on the element - probably a div element - in the web-developer Inspect view and delete it)

Note that those 2 options are temporary - they remove the element from the current page, but if the page is reloaded, that ad element will reload again and have to be deleted again. That makes those options sort of emergency goto's for getting access to something covered up.

And that is why the adblockers are so much easier - target the element and it is not loaded when the page loads or is hidden every time the page loads automatically. (same for GreaseMonkey JavaScript scripts - they strip the offending ads and other cruft off the page at the end of the load sequence - I run one that beats the *bleep* out of ads, eBay suggestions, filmstrips, "others are looking at" stuff)

There are literally dozens of tools like those available, but most requires some HTML knowledge, and few except the adblockers are semi automatic.

Between 50,000+ blocked domains in my Windows HOSTS file, Adblock Plus ad blocking and element hiding rules, 4000 lines of eBay specific Stylish CSS element hiding rules, and a couple of eBay specific GreaseMonkey scripts, I see nothing I don't want to see on eBay.

TLDNR; answer - install an adblocker.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply