cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound and light examination of bone china - International returns

An interesting story/lesson here.  I sold a bone china tea cup to buyer in Japan, not very valuable.  Everything about the cup looked perfect. It was packaged very securely. -  Once received, the buyer photographed:      1)  unopened box  2) open box item unwrapped  3) tea cup unwrapped   4) mini, quite invisible, tiny crack when held up to light    (anticipation ?)   - Buyer suggested I was negligent because I did not put the cup through:   A) a "tapping sound" exam  &  B) a "hold to light" exam.  Buyer conceded such a small hair thin crack may not appear visibly. She then filed for a  return and eBay granted it.  Funny thing is, buyer can keep it... and I am NOT liable for shipping fees and NOT responsible to refund !    eBay said the buyer can keep the item and receive a full refund. -  -  -  -  -  So, with that being said, it does seem that some sharp international buyers can receive items for FREE.....well, not exactly, just passing the cost/loss on to eBay.  Also....if you cannot SEE a defect in a fragile item, should you put it through laboratory quality control testing?  I've often tapped such items to listen (if I suspect a defect) but never held such items up to the light. -  -  -  -   OK.....just an experience I thought I would share.  Thanks.  (  1 neg. feedback in 25 years) - KP

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

For whatever reason, the cup was "not as described".  Why is the seller not responsible for giving a refund?

Janet

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You'd be surprised what some buyers do to look for any little defect.

A few years back, there was a post about a piece of clothing that the buyer found a loose thread, on the inside around the armpit and used a magnifying glass to find it.

Since it wasn't mentioned, they filed an INAD for a refund.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I suppose this is the best/cheapest method for eBay since the International Shipping Fees they charge are much more than the seller charges to ship to International Shipping Sites within the US? I'm not sure how they can "afford" to fully refund every dissatisfied International buyer?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Well, at least your buyer went through eBay.  Mine in China went straight to his CC company and skipped going through eBay altogether.  So, he'll be keeping the item which was not cheap (over $300) and get his money back!!  The sad thing is, he would have been refunded since it arrived broken and, yes, I sent it through eBay's hub.  So now, there's nothing eBay can do for me after being a seller for 21 years.  It stinks, but it happens.  I'm sorry this happened to you!  I guess it can be chalked up to lessons learned.

Cheryl
Message 5 of 5
latest reply