cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rare Unterweissbach Figurine - Looking for more info

DSC03585.JPGDSC03594.JPGDSC03591.JPGStands 10" tall. Matte skin and hair. Excellent detail. I was told that this is Unterweissbach. Did a bit of research and found, according to PM&M, that from 1970-1976 they used a decal and is rare, but that is the only info I could find. There does appear to be glue remnants from a decal on bottom. Looking for more info and possibly an approximate value. TIA

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Rare Unterweissbach Figurine - Looking for more info

JMHO.

Unterweissbach was one of the companies in Thuringia that was taken over many times by bigger companies. therefore also the problem with th different marks. not worth the risk to speculate for rising prices.

bancrupt in the 130s, dispropriation in 1953 by the communists, post 1989 bought by Königlich Tettau etc..

biggest problem is the reedition of certain figures (most probably the ones that sold best...) till today - an ivitation for cheaters with stories about stickers or adding some "repairs"....

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I read all about the company on PM&M. Also did a very thorough search for this particular figure, to no avail. I've owned this for at least 15 years and am absolutely certain that this is not a re-edition. The detail and quality is much too good.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Nice figure~ Just so you know, no one here is qualified to do appraisals and ebay doesn't mean the boards to be for that purpose, there's too much liablity all around. It's a message board and someone hopefully has some insight and info on the piece but as for market value, you need to research that yourself. Good luck~

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"no one here is qualified to do appraisals"

right. but it's of help when someone is knowing the German or European market a bit.

a good first step for all is certainly looking at the desirability of brands in their home market.

here the prices for sold figures in Germany:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=unterweissbach+porzellan+figur&_sacat=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks to those that have replied. I've been a seller on eBay since 1997 and in the antiques business for longer. Also, very good at internet research. Did a very thorough and exhaustive search for more more info and/or matches to this item, to no avail. I know there are many SIMILAR. Again, if this is what I think it is(1970-1976, originally w/decal, and as we all know, decals do not always remain), it is described by PM&M as RARE. Also, I am not necessarily looking for an appraisal, just, if possible, a rough guestimate, a place to start, and/or confirmation that this is what I think it is. The issue I'm having with determining a value is that, as we all know, most collectible pottery and porcelain manufacturers have those rare pieces that often command much higher prices than the common pieces.  Was hoping that someone may have a book on Unterweissbach, if one even exists. I could not find one. May just start it high(as auction) and see what happens. Can always come down, right?! Cheers!

From PM&M website:

unterweissbach-01-18.jpg

Sticker used between 1970 and 1976.
These were rare, also note the letters
VEB above "Unterweissbach".

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I doubt sites like PM+M.

here I definitely doubt the era they give. the VEB was simply the official abbr. for Volkseigener Betrieb in the GDR.  so it could well have been valid till 89.

I leave that discussion now without any hard feelings and wish you all the best.

too much problems on other boards with people that are not fluent in German.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply