cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Crystal Decanter - Boston Sandwich Style - ID Help Glassies?

Hello Glassies.  I thought I had this figured out at one time but I can't find my notes and I haven't had any success when I tried again.  Does anyone recognize the pattern and/or maker of this crystal decanter.  I suspected the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company, but can't find a match in my references.  I believe the decanter was blown molded with cut panels on the neck.  The original stopper was blown with a polished pontil on top.  There is plenty of shelf wear underneath, so it's definitely an old piece.  The design consists of 6 panels with a pressed ring near the shoulder.  The panels are separated by raised ridges.  The underside of the base has a rayed design.  The decanter stands about 11" to the top of the stopper (7 3/4" with stopper removed) and the base is approximately 4" in diameter.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

unkdecant whole.jpgunkdecant close1.jpgunkdecant nostopper.jpgunkdecant stopper.jpgunkdecant under.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Antique Crystal Decanter - Boston Sandwich Style - ID Help Glassies?

I think I found it in the EAPG database. Unfortunately it is listed as unidentified. There is a note that it might have been made by McKee, but was also made in Scotland by Holyrood in the 1870s. I do not see it shown as a Boston & Sandwich pattern.

Maybe someone else has more information.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I think I found it in the EAPG database. Unfortunately it is listed as unidentified. There is a note that it might have been made by McKee, but was also made in Scotland by Holyrood in the 1870s. I do not see it shown as a Boston & Sandwich pattern.

Maybe someone else has more information.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for the lead cubbiefanforever.  I found the mention you described in the EAPG Society database:

Pattern Details - ZZ UNIDENTIFIED No. 053 [decanter, Bull's Eye] (eapgs.net)

Since mine has what appears to be cut panels on the neck, I wonder if that suggests it was made by Holyrood, a company much more known for glass cutting than McKee.  On the other hand, I suspect that McKee decanters are more abundant and more likely to be found in the U.S.  Regardless, I think you've helped me get as far as I can possibly get with the ID.  I greatly appreciate your assistance!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply