cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a Louis Wain postcard?

I need help with identification of the card below. From what I've researched this is always refered to as a Louis Wain postcard, but it doesn't look like the usual Louis Wain style. Only one person I've read saying it might be a G H Thompson card. Can anyone help me on this?

s-l1600.png

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The one on ebay (ref: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362999557956?hash=item548475af44:g:XOUAAOSw56pexX5J)  on the back says its an Ernest Nister card. Since Louis Wain did work for Nister, that would certainly be a likelihood.  The one on ebay is pre-1908/udb

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

It does show up in the book "Louis Wain's Picture Postcards" by Christine Booth & Brian Lund who have a great deal of Wain expertise

My eyes say it could be Thompson or an unknown artist.   Most of Thompson's work was done for Nister books; a lot was repurposed for postcard by Nister and Theodor Stroefer of Nurnberg (TSN).  The two companies had an affiliative relation.  Occasionally some Tuck and unknown publisher stuff shows up.

With unsigned cards we're always dealing with opinions, unless there are existing publishing records.    Maybe best to list them as "Wain?  Thompson?" 

Mystery is one of the fun factors of postcard collecting

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for the reply! I'm currently waiting on that same book. 

I guess I'll add the quotation marks on both illustrators and let a buyer decide.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply