cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with identification of Publisher & identification of Postcard

Years ago I inherited lots of postcards from my Aunt (by marriage) that were sent by her parents in the early 1900s.  I have a postcard and need help identifying the publisher (first 2 photos).  The second postcard has no information on the back as to publisher or type of postcard - not sure what it is and was hoping someone has seen this card before.   Also with regard to shipping, do you ship directly from the post office rather than use eBay labels and then mark as shipped?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Its been about 12 years since I sold the postcards and just have a few remaining.  Mary

Chinese2.jpgWork1.jpgWork2.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Could you post the front of the first card? The A in a circle above CHI would indicate to me a branch in Chicago.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for responding - I'm attaching a photo of the front of the card.  Mary

Chinese1.jpg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I see this artist Denniston specialized in this kind of racial card - I see some others online by this artist that would roll up under 'Black Americana', or just plain poor taste. I don't see the name listed on Metropostcard, nor the company symbol. I'll take a look through my brand new Bower/Martin Guide to Postcards today.

It is fun trying to reverse-engineer the determinations on these!
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much for checking.  And I agree - they are in poor taste, hopefully we have evolved from when these were acceptable - which is why I have not done anything this a couple of these.  Wasn't sure whether to list or not.

Thanks again!  Mary

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The company symbol - A in a circle with CHI underneath - is noted but no company noted on the list below. 

http://www.thepostcard.com/walt/pubusa/pubusxx.htm

I have to admit to being stumped!  The company did publish other cards by this illustrator I see here on ebay and other sites.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for all your help!  I have several holiday cards and maybe I'll put them together as a group or maybe I'll give to Goodwill.  I'm really trying to downsize all the items I received - plus all the items my husband and I collected.  Thanks again!  Mary

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The 2nd postcard in red with the motto is R.L. Wells c1907 (there is a sold one on ebay). The other is not familiar to me & the sideways A in the circle did not match any A publishers I could think of from Chicago. Will keep thinking on that one.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply