cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Pay in 4 option gone

With automatic payments now being taken ebay, i can no longer use pay pal pay in 4 as an option.

Will ebay change this by any chance?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: PayPal Pay in 4 option gone

Nobody can use Pay in 4 as an option for offers anymore... that's just the way it works. I don't see it changing. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@mr_bwallace wrote:

With automatic payments now being taken ebay, i can no longer use pay pal pay in 4 as an option.

Will ebay change this by any chance?

Who knows. We certainly don't.

eBay is currently testing an option for preapproved payment on auctions where they allow the buyer some time (3 days I think) to make the payment themselves or request combined shipping with other items, before they process the automatic payment. But, of course [this is eBay], they are implementing this at random, so neither sellers nor buyers can opt in to this [unexpectedly and unprecedented] logical approach.

If that approach is expanded to offers as well as auctions, it would mean that buyers could pay proactively for their offers, if accepted, and would then be able to use PayPal Credit, or Pay-in-Four, in addition to being able to combine shipping.

What a fantastic idea!

Why is eBay only beta-testing this? Why did they implement a horribly flawed idea, and then have to start scrambling to fix their own mistakes? Why are they only fixing this for auctions and not offers?

Especially when user feedback clearly identified all the stupid flaws with eBay's preauthorized payments fiasco, when they started beta testing it a couple of years ago? Why did they implement it with all their stupid mistakes in the fall 2023 seller update?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I agree this is not a good plan. The pay in 4 option helps with making payments over a period to maintain paid off cards for consumers. Will watch to see if this gets corrected, if not I see myself migrating over to Amazon or direct to stores for flexible payment options. Paypal was hitting a nail on the head with this then ebay peaced out. Indeed not a smart move for their customers or consumers.

I have only recently ran into this issue with an offer. Found out after there was no option after accepting the offer anymore. For someone who may lack the funds in that situation that wouldn't be good. Luckily I'm not that someone. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Paypal's Pay in 4 was a great way for me to make purchases on my limited budget.  I am no longer bidding on ebay due to their policy change.  They have sort of shot themselves in the foot with this move.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I am no longer bidding on ebay due to their policy change.

Not sure about bidding specifically, or offers if the seller requires a payment method in advance, but for buy-it-now items at least you should still be able to use PayPal pay-in-4.

I also noticed that lately when checking out on eBay using PayPal, I was no longer getting the option to choose a payment method through my PayPal wallet -- a default payment method was being chosen automatically. I was able to specify a different payment source in my PayPal account for future purchases under Manage Automatic Payments for eBay, but I lost the ability to pick the payment method on-the-fly when checking out.

I was able to get the option to choose payment through my PayPal wallet at eBay checkout back by deleting the PayPal entry from my eBay Payments page.

Now when checking out on eBay and choosing PayPal, I am sent to my PayPal wallet page where I can choose a payment method -- including the split payment or pay-in-4 options.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You said it! They have 100% shot themselves in the foot. This is my second purchase I have gone to another site to buy with pay in 4 🤷‍

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Use Afterpay, or zip...can still purchase on bids, and auctions, as well as buy now... as long as seller has disabled their preferences of requiring buyer to pay immediately... A good way to find out, is any auction you're watching, or offer u are sending..It will prompt you notifying that if accepted, or bid on that your card on file will be charged immediately...If you don't get the prompt before you send it, then u should be good 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply