cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made offer, ebay automatically charges credit card !!@$#!$"#

I do not understand how making an offer can give ebay the right to charge my cc if seller accepts.  That should never be allowed and I would never agree to that.  I decide when my card is charged! 

Consider if your making offers (not bids) on multiple same items, or maybe items that are close to the same, old model newer model, trying to get a good price, and three offers are accepted, eBay is going to CHARGE YOUR CARD WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION for all 3 of same item, buying all three of the same item.  That is ridiculously stupid policy change.   I don't see how this is possible.  No wear did I agree to that and it happened today.  Checked my offers and one already shipped without my knowledge and the newer model was the better deal for only a little more money.

Buyer beware!  This is **bleep**!

I still don't even see where it says this on the offer side.

The reason ebay told me is because people make offers and don't pay.  That is **bleep** also,  a simple communication "I retract my offer, or just purchased elsewhere message should be good.  Cause this is an offer not a bid!  "make offer!"

Anyone else have thoughts on this!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Made offer, ebay automatically charges credit card !!@$#!$"#

@vaz019 wrote:

I do not understand how making an offer can give ebay the right to charge my cc if seller accepts.  That should never be allowed and I would never agree to that.  I decide when my card is charged! 

Consider if your making offers (not bids) on multiple same items, or maybe items that are close to the same, old model newer model, trying to get a good price, and three offers are accepted, eBay is going to CHARGE YOUR CARD WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION for all 3 of same item, buying all three of the same item.  That is ridiculously stupid policy change.   I don't see how this is possible.  No wear did I agree to that and it happened today.  Checked my offers and one already shipped without my knowledge and the newer model was the better deal for only a little more money.

Buyer beware!  This is **bleep**!

I still don't even see where it says this on the offer side.

The reason ebay told me is because people make offers and don't pay.  That is **bleep** also,  a simple communication "I retract my offer, or just purchased elsewhere message should be good.  Cause this is an offer not a bid!  "make offer!"

Anyone else have thoughts on this!

You apparently don't understand the concept of "make an offer". If you want to know if a seller will take a certain price, message them. If you're willing to buy the item at that price and will commit, make the offer. 

You should not be making ANY offers you don't plan on paying for. You have literally spelled out the reason for this policy change. You have just explained yourself to be the reason for the policy change. So thank you for making it more difficult for the rest of us who actually pay for our items.

Also love how you claim its without your authorization, when you authorized it prior to confirming/submitting the offer

"The reason ebay told me is because people make offers and don't pay" ... you = people. 

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

methinks the problem is that paying for all items in advance without any say so  from the same seller upfront with full shipping negates a combined shipping discount

smart sellers could alleviate this by simply refunding excess shipping after paying actual cost, but wont. they jealously covet every dollar .. yes dollars sometimes as much as ten on a item selling for half as much  ...as if they earned it or something. shipping has become a 'profit margin sideline' i give negative feedback for this action, even if the item was as  expected

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

derka and derka are not the same   derka derka!

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

ohh.. you special elite sellers ..said NO one ever

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

...you've been a member for over 20 years... 😳

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@captsilvuhkokk wrote:

methinks the problem is that paying for all items in advance without any say so  from the same seller upfront with full shipping negates a combined shipping discount

smart sellers could alleviate this by simply refunding excess shipping after paying actual cost, but wont. they jealously covet every dollar .. yes dollars sometimes as much as ten on a item selling for half as much  ...as if they earned it or something. shipping has become a 'profit margin sideline' i give negative feedback for this action, even if the item was as  expected

You are assuming a lot. 

If I have a buyer who purchases and pays for more than one item, I combine the items, ship in one package and issue a partial refund for a portion of the overpayment in shipping costs. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

guess what?  Some buyers are also in the "test" where preauthorizing is needed before "bidding" on auctions, and payment is automatic if they win.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

That is literally what the offer you made is for..."if you are willing to lower your price to this, then I will buy it from you" Not "then I will think about it some more" It is an official offer. Not a DM about a hypothetical situation.

Thank goodness ebay doesn't allow offers to be an annoying way to kick the tires. It's bad enough how low most of them are compared to asking price.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@captsilvuhkokk wrote:

not true, this is a 'folk tale' 

Not sure what you think is a folk tale, but everything I typed is true.  As a seller for 10+ years, I know how sales work.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

Hi, I see you posted this in September, but just last week I had a buyer make an offer on my item and never completed payment. This has been the third time a buyer has recently done this on one of my listings, so I don’t know if that’s true, but I hope they do change it because it is extremely frustrating for sellers and not fair to others who are interested in the item! If you make an offer you are committing to purchase the item, so they SHOULD automatically charge the buyer!

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@mysharona714 It is being rolled out, so not everyone is included just yet.  I agree with you 100%.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

This practice of making several offers and only accepting the best one and not paying for the others is the very reason eBay implemented this new payment plan.  When you make an offer, it is an intent to buy.  Far too many buyers do not pay after a seller accepts their offer.  Then they must wait 4 days to cancel the transaction before relisting. 

Instead, you can work it in reverse like in the real world. 

zaza_3236_0-1700075480284.jpegzaza_3236_1-1700075495969.jpeg

This has the added benefit you have sellers that are actually awake, and you can buy just the best choice, more than one since all of the prices were lowered, or all of them.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Ok my complaint is this lets say you see an item for $6.99 and you put an offer in for $6.00 then the person turns around and declines your offer then you say forget it bit this person went ahead anyway charge your credits card for $6.86 so is this allowed in ebay those are the rules the seller declines your offer but 2 days later the seller charges your credit card for $6.00 

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

This is a horrible policy. PayPal Credit is currently doing a promotional offer that allows 0% APR for 12-24 months, and I wanted to take advantage of it, but then was hit with an automatic payment unexpectedly, immediately charging me and not allowing me to take advantage of the PayPal Credit promotional offer that I wanted to use. This is a horrible policy for buyers and needs to change.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Absolutely agree! This just happened to me as well! I am incredulous that they can do this . I wonder when this policy was started because first time ever for me that this has happened, How can we issue our complaints?..what channels do we go through? 

Message 30 of 39
latest reply