cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Mandatory to do the "Forced --Managed Payment" to Mess with my Bank Account ? !!

HEY Guys-- How about some Input or Advice here.?   I am being threatened by ebay , that they need my OK... to take over my Bank Account---- to 'Manage Payments'  !!!!       I am totally against this Takeover !  Says I must Comply within a Few Days---OR Else !  I think 'Or Else' means--Not Listing items--or Who Knows ???

***Someone here to Clarify this for me ?    Any Ideas on what to do, before their stated Deadline ?     What a Pain !!     ***  I'm at a loss.  Thank You,  George.

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it Mandatory to do the "Forced --Managed Payment" to Mess with my Bank Account ?

If you want to stay on eBay, yes it's mandatory that you join in the Managed Payments.  You don't have to like it and you don't have to give up all your personal banking information... just go open a new CHECKING account, in a totally different bank or credit union.  Get a debit card to tie in with it.  Give eBay the new checking account information and use the debit card as backup in your eBay account. 

If you do this, eBay will have access to only that one account, so make sure you watch the balance and take out what you don't need to keep in there to maintain your balance (like to avoid service charges, etc.)  This is the safest way to deal with it.  Your only risk then is what's in that account.  Don't use it for anything else.  Be fearless.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 46 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Is it Mandatory to do the "Forced --Managed Payment" to Mess with my Bank Account ?

Comply or go. That's pretty much it. 

Message 2 of 88
latest reply

No it's certainly not mandatory. You can stop selling here.

If you wish to continue though, yes bit is mandatory.

And you can just open a new checking account. Is it really that big of a deal to do so?

And PS: The 'or else' means they will remove your listings and you won't be able to list any new ones until/unless you comply.

Message 3 of 88
latest reply

Some sellers would rather quit selling than switch to managed payments.  

Other sellers (the majority) have no problem with the switch . They have adapted and they are not having any problems under the new system.

Which are you?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 88
latest reply

DON'T PANIC copy.jpeg

Managed Payments is the name for the newish payment processing eBay is introducing to replace Paypal, now that they have been forced to spin PP off and no longer have that as an income source.

" Or else" means that you will not be able to list new items, although there will be a grace period during which your existing listings will continue to be visible and PP will be able to process your customer payments.

For the time being.

We have not been told how long the grace period will be.

Any Ideas on what to do, before their stated Deadline ?

This has been underway for about 2 1/2 years now. EBay is getting around to the occasional and new sellers.

The simplest way to avoid a "  take over my Bank Account" would be to open a new checking account that is dedicated to online sales.

You can attach it to your PP account if you want to continue to use PP for online purchases.

There are a lot of online only banks with very low or no fees. Choose one that is part of a "real" bank, preferably one you do not bank with.

Full disclosure:  I have been avoiding this since last October and only now is eBay insisting that I make the changeover.  My problems have been that eBay was not forthcoming about what the changeover will cost us unless we signed up, and that we can only attach one bank account and it must be in our own country of registration.

The first was cleared up when early adopters answered most of the questions we holdouts had. You can find those threads , just use Managed Payments as the Search.

Avoid the very long ones. There have been enough changes, adjustments and misunderstandings that anything before January2021 is likely to be wrong.

The second is more important for us non-US sellers. I can't use my American bank account, but must use a Canadian bank account in either USD or loonies. Which is difficult for most non-US sellers since more than half our market is the USA.

Message 5 of 88
latest reply

"No it's certainly not mandatory. You can stop selling here."

He thinks eBay is going to "take over his bank account" which isn't what managed payments is.  So, before telling him to hit the road you might want to be helpful and clear up what managed payments actually is.

Message 6 of 88
latest reply

"Other sellers (the majority) have no problem with the switch . They have adapted and they are not having any problems under the new system. Which are you?"

It is a fallacy to prove something by showing how many people think that it's true. The problem is that no matter how many people believe something, that doesn't necessarily make it the case. Example: "At least 60% of all Americans believe Twinkies have a shelf life of 10 years ." Twinkies have a shelf life of about a month. Eating a 10 year old Twinky would not be safe.

It just seems like in this situation it would be more helpful to actually explain what the system is (or in this case what the system IS NOT) than to subtly and antagonistically imply people are not swift enough to "adapt" like the majority to a system in its infancy.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it seems like a lot of these responses are not intended to be helpful to people.

Message 7 of 88
latest reply

There are no other sites that ask for a copy of a photo ID and you SS number.....these are a hackers dream.....

Message 8 of 88
latest reply

Hi, i just made the changeover. Ebay made it fairly pain-free. I opened a new checking account for just my eBay sales. There was no cost to do so. (I did use my current bank.) 

One bit of advice: make sure your eBay account info exactly matches your bank info (name, address). I was told this by another seller here in the forum who said doing this would bypass a problem some were having when signing up. 

I also heard that once you begin the process of filling in info from the invitation message, that you are immediately put into Managed Payments. So i waited to do anything until i had the new bank account info to input into the new account documents.

I knew this was coming for a long time and have just been waiting for eBay’s invitation to join. While i don’t like the change, didn't want the change, i do want to continue to sell here. For the most part, i have enjoyed being a part of the selling community, and have found the Ebay experience to be a positive one. So really, this was no big deal and i had no serious qualms about the process. Good luck to you with yours.

Message 9 of 88
latest reply

@gscflash wrote:

I am being threatened by ebay , that they need my OK... to take over my Bank Account----

Oh please.  Nobody is trying to take over any bank account.  And yes, you must sign up for MP and allow MP access to that bank account.  Access is not "taking over the account".   Ans yes also, resistance to MP is futile.  That being said I have been with managed payments for over two years now and have not had a single issue.  There is much to criticize about Ebay recently, but MP is not such an issue.

Message 10 of 88
latest reply

@lagarto_electronico wrote:

"Other sellers (the majority) have no problem with the switch . They have adapted and they are not having any problems under the new system. Which are you?"

It is a fallacy to prove something by showing how many people think that it's true. The problem is that no matter how many people believe something, that doesn't necessarily make it the case. Example: "At least 60% of all Americans believe Twinkies have a shelf life of 10 years ." Twinkies have a shelf life of about a month. Eating a 10 year old Twinky would not be safe.

It just seems like in this situation it would be more helpful to actually explain what the system is (or in this case what the system IS NOT) than to subtly and antagonistically imply people are not swift enough to "adapt" like the majority to a system in its infancy.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it seems like a lot of these responses are not intended to be helpful to people.

I had to redact my reply (it was nothing personal but more a general reply) or I'd get bot-slapped.  Instead I will put this: 

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 88
latest reply

Did eBay ask to see a photo ID for you?  eBay did not ask to see a photo ID for me.  
And eBay only wanted the last four digits of my social security number.  

I wonder if there's some reason why eBay wants more information to make sure you are who you are claiming to be.   

Message 12 of 88
latest reply

@jaktup1 wrote:

There are no other sites that ask for a copy of a photo ID and you SS number.....these are a hackers dream.....

Yeah, there are, most of the reputable sites do to be in compliance with tax laws

Message 13 of 88
latest reply

eBay has done a pretty bad job educating about this. A lot of marketing speak about how its going to be better for you, cheaper, etc.  Well, everyone can see through that and that eBay is likely the biggest benificary of MP.

They should have been more honest, like:

we know many of our long time sellers have built a business around the use of PayPal and that some people may be inconvenienced in various ways like having to open a new back account. We also know MP represents a change in the way funds are collected and distributed back to you. The changes are necessary since when we spun off PP, we made a commitment to separate payments by the end 2021.

Our new system parallels the way payments are handled with merchants across the world. We know that many people who have only sold on eBay, may not be familiar with these processes. We are required to know our customer and therefore we will be required to verify you and your bank account. This will involve sharing information like your social security number. This how we protect your data. etc, etc.

Plus the never should have called it Managed Payments and never use the phrase eBay will manage your payments.  This is a white labeled payment processing service. Did they really think people would want eBay to manage their payments.

Message 14 of 88
latest reply

I have read there is a little clause regarding giving ebay a Power Of Attorney so thats where "Taking over my bank account" might come from.

Message 15 of 88
latest reply