cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cryptocurrency as a Possible Payment Method

Hey everyone. I was always wondering...If ebay had a method to allow users to buy crypto, how would you feel about that?

For me that would be a nice option. I run a small online business off of ebay and I accept crypto for purchases because there's people out there that are more likely to get the item. And a bonus for me because I could cash in the crypto or keep it. I can see the only downside is how returns are processed...But if you ask me, I would vouch for it

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Cryptocurrency as a Possible Payment Method

I would give it a try.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

never! and I hope eBay and other reputable selling sites continue to not use cryptocurrency as a payment method. Scammers have enough ways to screw buyers & sellers on eBay without that!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

How would it work if you return something and the crypto currency has dropped 40% since the purchase? Who would eat the loss? 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

cryptocrap....no thanks.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Nope, crypto is a scam plain and simple. It will fail again and many US investors will be devastated. China has already shut it down and other countries will follow, especially the US. HISTORY repeats itself in the fact that no government has allowed for private currency or whatever you want to call crypto. The US Fed already has plans to introduce Fedcoin. Once it does it will shut the doors on every other crypto. The Fed has already begun restricting it. Drug dealers and people that want to hide their money created this thin air fake, called crypto. You continue to witness how it is manipulated by a few "whales" as they call them. 80% is owned by a select few. That 80% will sure continue to control it and manipulate it. And to top it off, the mining of crypto is a massive waste of earth resources to power the mining servers. If anyone is concerned about pollution or the waste of energy, why would you want to invest in something that is near the #1 item destroying the planet  & for what? Of course, that's just my opinion and I am positive many will disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as I always support.  Have a good day!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

So true.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Too dodgy and unregulated.  There are lots of sellers on the dark web that accept it.   It's a big issue is it's value changes in the wink of an eye.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

How would it work if you return something and the crypto currency has dropped 40% since the purchase? Who would eat the loss? 

Similar to international buyers using foreign currency, which is subject to market fluctuations ... although not nearly as volatile.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

This is a very good question, and I don't mean to speak for ebay, but assuming there was some crypto payment in method, they would focus on the value sent as a return and not the amount of crypto sent.

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It isn't something I would use, but others may find it very interesting.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 11
latest reply