cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay for eBay item via Paypal on Desktop, but can with laptop, phone, and tablet

So, over the past month for some reason, my desktop stopped being able to pay for eBay items via Paypal.  Every time payment is submitted to Paypal, it says 'Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again.'  No other explanation.  It sometimes makes me enter a code that was texted to me, but still the same message.  What I have to do is put the item on my watch list, and go pay for it either on my phone, tablet, or laptop.   Not sure what is going on.  I can log in to my eBay and Paypal accts on this desktop, but it will not let me submit payment.  Anyone else know about a problem like this?  I'm using Firefox, but Chrome does the same thing.  Firefox works fine on my laptop.  Is this a security issue that I need to unlock that somehow got locked on this desktop?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Can't pay for eBay item via Paypal on Desktop, but can with laptop, phone, and tablet

How far do you get into the PayPal transaction on your desktop before you get the error?

Are you sure you are using the same PayPal account, email address and payment method when paying on your laptop?

There are all sorts of reasons why a PayPal transaction might fail, but most often the problem seems to occur when trying to sign in to PayPal from the eBay checkout page.

If you are able to actually sign in to PayPal and submit the payment, and then you get the error, that is something different; I have encountered that when there was a problem with a particular payment method.

If the same payment method using the same PayPal account, works on another device, that is quite odd. And I have not encountered a request for a texted code using PayPal before, either.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Can't pay for eBay item via Paypal on Desktop, but can with laptop, phone, and tablet

Make sure the time and date is correct on your computer. It's used by the encryption.  Clear the cash and cookies. Be sure you have the latest browser update.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

If the same payment method using the same PayPal account, works on another device, that is quite odd. And I have not encountered a request for a texted code using PayPal before, either.

I have. These days, PayPal gives me the option to log in either with my password or with a one-time texted code.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

As an example: Screenshot_20.png

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Haven't tried to pay via Paypal by logging into the acct.  I'll try that next time I purchase something.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Same problem here for about 2 weeks.I go to pay for item click pay with paypal and it never lets me login.This only on pc but works fine on phone.EBAY please fix this

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I go to pay for item click pay with paypal and it never lets me login.

What do you see, exactly?

In the past, some users have had problems with certain browsers blocking the sign-in popup or blocking cookies, preventing the sign-in from completing successfully.

See here for some things to try in that case:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Unable-to-pay-through-paypal/qaq-p/31803551

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

paypal2.jpg

This is what comes up when paying via my desktop.  I cleared out cookies and cache and same thing.  I tried logging in via a texted code and thru the regular password and same screen.  The password works when logging in directly to Paypal, so the password is not the issue.  There is something blocking the website access.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Try another browser, or try disabling Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox on eBay's checkout page or on PayPal using the little shield icon that appears to the left side of the page address:

eburtonlab_0-1643663022998.png

eburtonlab_1-1643663103557.png

If that does not help, go through the thread in my message above about things to try, such as setting up One Touch in PayPal. If you use 2 Factor Authentication in PayPal, you may want to try checking out with and without it.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Sorry you're running into this @suttonm, have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the app? 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It's not an app.  It's Firefox on a desktop computer.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

So I guess this remains an unsolved issue? I've having the same problem 18 months since the last post here. Don't know if the problem is with eBay, PayPal or Chrome. I guess I should try logging into eBay using another desktop browser.  Any other suggestions? Thanks very much.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Just because someone had a similar problem eighteen months ago does not necessarily mean that you are having the same problem now, and even if the problem appears to be the same, that does not mean that the problem went unresolved for eighteen months.

Most likely you are experiencing a different problem entirely, particularly if you have been able to make purchases using PayPal until very recently.

If you are trying to pay via PayPal and you are having problems signing in to PayPal during eBay checkout, try signing in to PayPal in another browser tab before completing eBay checkout.

Or else try manually erasing your PayPal cookies and then try checking out again.

Or else try using a different browser to check out, such as Firefox.

Or else try checking out using the eBay app.

Or else try paying using a different payment method.

Or else try checking out on ebay.ca instead of ebay.com.

This is currently an Alert (ALERT14883) that eBay is working on regarding this issue:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/Current-and-resolved-technical-issues-upd...

If you contact eBay regarding the problem, be sure to mention that Alert number to have your username added to the ticket.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply