cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Too good to be true" scam?

I recently saw a posting on Facebook for a camper. when I messaged the person about the listing, I got a reply from someone else saying they would only correspond by email. She responded with many pictures of a well maintained camper for a much too good to be true price. The reason she stated was because of a divorce. She is in another state and said that ebay motors would handle the transaction. When I got the invoice today, payment is only accepted by ebay or apple gift cards. Does anyone have any insights as to how ebay motors handles things like this? I do not do alot of online shopping so I am rather naive on how this works. Any insight would be helpful.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: "Too good to be true" scam?

That's an old scam.

Ebay has nothing to with items you find on other sites.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Stop all communications with that person.  Do not do this.

eBay Motors Security Center | eBay.com

krazzykats_0-1710210331923.png

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

For sure, a SCAM.  Avoid. Glad you came here first before sending gift cards.  

Others have not been so lucky....

Posting ID
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Report the fraudulent ad on Facebook. 

Forward their email and the fake invoice to spoof@ebay.com.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

yes, you should report to FB that you found a vehicle scam on Marketplace, it could be the one billionth report of a scam and you might win big prizes! Also call your local Police Department, Sheriff and FBI cause they are chomping the bit to eradicate this plague of scams. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

i was scammed too... the x-ray glasses were fake. Any way to get my 99 cents back?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Waste of time reporting to the  local police and the sheriff's dept. There's no door they can knock on and say you're  under arrest. They won't  investigate it.

These scammers are in a third world country and they've  been getting away with stealing trillions of dollars for as long as there's  been Craigslist and eBay. And now add Facebook and OfferUp.  There's no stopping them. It's  a crime with a willing victim. The police think buyers should learn how to buy safely.  Scam alerts are on all the sites the scammers list on.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Bless you for trying to help the distraught grieving mother sell her dead son's vehicle after he died of cancer, and for 15% of its actual value.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply