cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to all the Facebook scams?

I checked in tonight and was hoping to see a bunch of nice used vehicles for 800-1200 dollars, free delivery, 30 day eBay guarantee, blahblah but there ain't none.

Used to be there were 100s. Can y'all find any?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Personally, I think we should be happy if this is evidence that car shoppers are finally beginning to identify scam attempts they see on CL, FB etc.

Yes, I knew you meant this in jest.  Just sayin' that it's good to see shoppers might be getting smarter. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Yes I agree, hopefully people have finally figured out that these great Facebook deals do not exist.

But Facebook was flooded for years with the same scam: a $1200 Acura in great shape, free shipping, 7-day trial, money back guarantee, etc. and using eBay Motor's name as the bait.  Last time I looked OFFERUP was even worse.

I noticed last night that all the FB Marketplace scams were gone, all of them, even the "sponsored" scams - they just suddenly disappeared. There used to be 1000s of fake listings spread over every town Marketplace served. One FB account could list the same scam over and over in 100 different cities, using real FB profiles that were stolen or abandoned or hacked. But last night, literally thousands of scam listings disappeared - poof!.

I was curious because I sometimes reported obvious scams to FB. 

Still wondering if anyone has seen an obvious FB scam since last night?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply