cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck for sale… is this a scsm

Hello,
 Here are some  more details about my 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, it has only 105,300  miles, 5.4L V8 engine, automatic transmission, 4X4 and doesn't need any repairs. I have the ownership and clear and clean title on hand. The  price was reduced to $1,500 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer, as  my husband died 1 month ago (he suffered a heart attack) and it brings  back bad memories. I need to sell the truck before the 20th of March when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and I don't want to store it, without using it.

Right  now I'm stationed at Scott AFB, Illinois and the truck is already in ebay's possession ready to be shipped, I'm doing special training and getting ready for my deployment. Before leaving, I had a prearranged deal with eBay (using this service you will have 5 days to inspect/test  the truck before I'll get any money) so my presence isn't necessary. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3 working days. Also, you will receive the title already notarized and signed over by me, along with the truck at delivery. So, you'll get the truck for $1,500, without any additional costs involved because I will cover the delivery fees. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to  send you the details on this deal.

In order to start the deal, I need your full name, delivery address and phone# so I can reserve the truck for you and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the deal. I will also attach some pics below.

USAF Staff Sgt. Martha Steward

annettbarvincha0_0-1647459114789.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_1-1647459114789.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_2-1647459114789.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_3-1647459114790.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_4-1647459114790.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_5-1647459114790.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_6-1647459114790.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_7-1647459114791.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_8-1647459114791.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_9-1647459114791.jpeg

annettbarvincha0_10-1647459114791.jpeg

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Truck for sale… is this a scsm

Yep -- no matter how you spell it, that's a scam!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

You found this vehicle listed on another site, not eBay.

eBay has nothing at all to do with items listed elsewhere, not ever.

Read back here a few pages to see others reporting similar scam attempts.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Holy mackrel!  This one's got all the excuses covered.  Yes, it is a scam.  There is no truck for sale.  There is no warehouse.  Ebay has nothing to do with anything outside of ebay.  Run.

P.S. I must say, this is the most creative sob story I have ever seen a scammer use.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

SCAM!

Any vehicle/trailer/4-wheeler 'housed' by eBay is a scam.  Always a sob story.  Then they want you to buy gift cards to pay for it, zero out the gift cards, and say bye-bey.  So many people fall for this on a daily basis.

Report this ad wherever you found it, because it wasn't on eBay. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Martha Steward(t).   LOL

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

SCAM! Is that a big enough red flag for you? 🙂 There is no truck, eBay does not have anything to do with the sale.  There is no 5 day inspection etc. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Steal of a deal to STEAL from YOu.

Scam, sCam, and just plain old SCAM.

If you sent photo of gift cards with back scratched off< your money is gone gone gone......

Oh and has NOTING to do with this......

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I’m always amused by the “bad memories” excuse the scammers use.  My mom passed away last year and I WANT to keep things of hers because they bring back fond memories of time spent with her.

Bad memories?  That would be the kitchen in my old house where I got broken bones from my first husband.  So, these scammers are saying their alleged husband was a wife beater and everything brings back bad memories of him?  LOL I keep getting tempted to engage with one of these scammers and express my condolences on the horrible husband that brings them such “bad memories”!

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Tell them you live only a 100 miles away and since you lost your dad to a heart attack recently the story really touches your heart. Due to the substantial amount of money in his will you firmly insist on picking it up in person and will gladly pay them double (3000 dollars) to help them out a bit in these traumatic times.

They will either disappear or start salivating at the thought of will money and change tactics by piling on more **bleep**.

Why mess with eBay, storage, shipping, guarantees, or anything else when any dealer within a mile would be there in half a second to pay way more than 1500 for it no questions asked.

It's income tax refund time and these scams pop up far more often this time of year. Just like the surge when the stimulus checks rolled out.

1400 dollar stimulus checks mailed out; glut of scam 1400 dollar vehicles. When the 600 dollar checks came out there was a rash of 600 dollar cars popping up in my area.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I would really Think about That Truck If It was White & Low Bucket Seat's

With Black Dot's on it so I Can carry my Crew from Town to Town

Selling SUGAR  Candy Cones!

Mabey a Different Color Like Yellow with Black Dot's

Or A ..................................... SCAM..........................................COLOR.................

The Pictures you Posted were  from some guy that was Selling his

Truck! & Did not Know it used in a SCAM .....................................................

This is The Oldest Scam on the Book's I have Been on EBay about 25 Years or More

And This SCAM has been going on.!!!

Just My 3.5 Cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The price alone told you it was a scam.  You knew it, but you contacted the scammer anyway.  This has all the classic red flags that it's a scam, but you're hoping against hope that it's legit because....the price.

Let me list all the reasons it's a scam.

1.  The price.  It's always the price, a super nice vehicle for way below the usual asking price

2.  Found it browsing another site (craigslist, facebook marketplace, offerup, etc) and the "seller" tells you it will be "handled" by eBay.   Every transaction that begins on another site and ends on eBay is a scam.  There are no exceptions to this.  All legit eBay transaction begin and end on eBay.

3.  eBay does not have possession of any items.  They don't have warehouses, shipping containers, trailers or anything else.  They do not handle transactions between sellers and buyers, ever.  

4.  The scammers almost always claim to be a woman with a sob story about why she is selling it so cheap:  husband died, son died, divorce, etc

5.  The scammers always claim to be unable to take care of the transaction due to military deployment, busy traveling with work, etc and that's the reason they give for eBay handling it for her.

6.  Shipping is free.  Wow, a beautiful truck in excellent shape for a mere $1,500 and the shipping is covered by the seller.  Guess what, shipping would cost that much, easily.  So the "seller" went to the trouble of listing it on the internet so she could lose money.  A smart person would have called any car dealership within 100 miles and said  "I have this '04 F-150 in excellent shape for only $1,500" and the car dealer would get to her place right now.

7.  The scammer wants your contact information so "eBay" can send you an invoice.  Except eBay doesn't work that way.  Scammer sends a fake invoice. You are instructed to purchase gift cards to cover the cost of the vehicle and are assured that the seller will not get money until after your 5 day inspection period is over and you decide to keep the truck rather than send it back (free shipping again).  The problem is, as soon as you give the scammer, pretending to be eBay, your card numbers, your money is gone forever and cannot be traced.

8. Shipping is always 2,3 days tops.  Have you ever shipped a vehicle across country?  I have.  You can forget about a shipping time anywhere near that short.

But it all boils down to the first very large red flag:  The PRICE

The super low price is potent bait for people who think, "Wow, what a smokin' deal!  I'd better jump on that before someone else does."  So you buy $1500 in gift cards and give the numbers to a fake eBay and there is no truck, only photos the scammer lifted off the internet.  

I hope you haven't followed through on what the scammer told you to do.  Coming here was smart, but even smarter would be knowing that the super low PRICE told you it was a scam, no need to contact the "seller."

Best of luck to you.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just did a google image search on that truck.  The exact same photos have that truck for sale all over the country on facebook marketplace, with prices ranging from $1,000 to $1,500.    So apparently that truck has multiple doppelgangers from sea to shining sea.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Those pictures were probably lifted off a legit site.  And really, Martha Steward?  Not even inventive.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

While looking for a motor for my truck on Market Place ( FaceBook )  I came across the same add. Took them a week to respond and,  when they did they sent this

Here are some  more details about my 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4, it has only 105,300  miles, 5.4L V8 engine, automatic transmission,and doesn't need any repairs. I have the ownership and clear and clean title on hand. The  price was reduced to $1,500 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer, as  my husband died 1 month ago (he suffered a heart attack) and it brings  back bad memories. I need to sell the car before the 30th of January when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and I don't want to store it, without using it.

Right  now I'm stationed at Scott AFB, Illinois and the truck is already in ebay's possession ready to be shipped, I'm doing special training and getting ready for my deployment. Before leaving, I had a prearranged deal with eBay (using this service you will have 5 days to inspect/test  the truck before I'll get any money) so my presence isn't necessary. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3 working days. Also, you will receive the title already notarized and signed over by me, along with the truck at delivery. So, you'll get the car for $1,500, without any additional costs involved because I will cover the delivery fees. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to  send you the details on this deal.

In order to start the deal, I need your full name, delivery address and phone# so I can reserve the truck for you and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the deal. I will also attach some pics below.

USAF Staff Sgt. Denise Blays

I believe they should shut add like this down...
Message 15 of 18
latest reply