cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Trucks Be Required to Pick Up Tire Treads that are Blown on Highways?

I say yes.  Start inserting markers in the treads and if one is found on the highway, charge a $2,500 removal fee.

If this happens, let the driver be responsible to have it removed and traffic controlled.  This is an outrage to just keep driving.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

A lot of them don't know a tire blew for quite a ways.
I lost one on a trailer once and didn't know it until I got home. 
I had no idea when it went, or where the pieces were.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

What about cars, should they be treated the same?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

In Ohio and PA, I have seen a lot of horse and buggy rigs over the years. What about all those road apples?

Posting ID
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

In Ohio and PA, I have seen a lot of horse and buggy rigs over the years. What about all those road apples?

We have a few of them around here.

I guess they need to start cleaning up after their horses before they start tagging their droppings. 😀

Have a great day
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I hope eBay will implement such a policy soon.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I'm hoping for a $2,500 pickup fee.  I wonder if I can get a cut of the fine if I photo the event like I did with trailers absent license plates?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I'm hoping for a $2,500 pickup fee.  I wonder if I can get a cut of the fine if I photo the event like I did with trailers absent license plates?

So that was YOU that too that picture!  LOL
  I bought a BIG, wrecked box truck in NC once. At a salvage auction.  Figured $2500 to have it hauled to me.  I thought wrong. Cheapest I found was $5,000.
SO, I had the auction company sell it for me at the next sale.
6 months later, I got a citation in the mail, from DE.  (threw it in the trash, I've never been to DE).
About the third letter, I noticed a bent bar on the back of this truck (they had a photo).  
Sure enough, it was the truck I bought in NC.
   Somehow, the auction company registered it in my name in order to re-sell it.
  Whoever bought it, got it running, found it's old license plate somewhere inside of it, and drove it home.
  And drove it straight through the toll booths without paying. 
While I proved my case, with paperwork, to the state of DE.  The ticked kept increasing.
I finally paid it before it got WAY out of hand.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

My brother owns heavy commercial trucks and trailers. There are over 20,000 heavy trucks registered in my county all paying close to $400 every year for each rig. That's  collecting over 7 million dollars every year.  I am positive there's  more than enough money collected to pay someone to travel the Interstate in my county collecting those gators.  The truckers are paying in advance for highway wear and tear and tire litter.

Maybe you should apply for the job picking them up.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Once while towing a mobile home as I pulled off the road into an inspection station one of the tires on the mobile home came off the wheel and rolled past me.  This was embarrassing enough but to make matters worse the tire rolled right into the driver’s door of a parked DOT vehicle.  The DOT Officer was in the vehicle, so I thought I better go get the tire.  Told him sorry and he did not say a word.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Actually, I have a side gig where I write proposed legislation which may be used by the US House of Representatives.  This is a piece of proposed legislation that I am considering.

Another is people trying to get through TSA at the airport with multiple pieces of luggage.  The scanning equipment is capable of determining mass and my proposal is to stop the items right then, assign a $250 administrative fee and send them back to start to check their bags.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Go for it.... it will never fly.

Not good to see the alligator shreds all over the freeways when any tire blows and comes apart. In my state, law enforcement and the state highway department pick up the dangerous items in the roads... There are laws on the books in many states fining people for littering in place and that does include the tire shreds, but you have to catch them first.

For many years, states and counties have had programs for the kids and prisoners to pickup trash on our roads... works very well. A couple of my grandkids did that for the summer to earn money... the oldest now works for the state as a supervisor in the Spokane area for one of these programs.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

As long as I get my fee for writing the proposed legislation, I don't care whether it ever becomes law or not.

I keep writing and cashing checks though...

Message 13 of 13
latest reply