cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automotive Forums - Full of Jealousy and Controversy

Recently on another automotive forum, with most of the participants in the Barney, Elmer and George category, a poster needed assistance with a fuel odor on an early 70s Chevrolet.  From the post, it appears that someone disconnected the line to the charcoal canister and fuel is dripping out of that line.

I've actually been through this before back in the 90s and did a repair on a 1970 Chevrolet pickup with the same complaint.  I went to the wrecking yard and pulled a charcoal canister out of an early Chevrolet Malibu and hooked up the evaporative emissions system.  All fixed

Good luck with that bunch.  The OP has been told to get a vented gas cap which will simply vent the odor outdoors.  Not only will this individual evaporate gas at $5.00 per gallon (about 24 gallons a year), they will still have the smell and violate the Clean Air Act.

For less than $50, this problem could be solved.  But, Barney, Elmer and George know everything.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Automotive Forums - Full of Jealousy and Controversy

Well did  you Tell the Guy of his Problem.!

or did you let it go by the way side.!

Just Asking ..??

Just my 3.5ncents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@tony1963,

So, why post about an issue on another site here?   Not everyone who has worked on cars for a long time has run into every issue that can pop up except for maybe long time used car lot mechanics. Not all of the info that can be found on the internet about auto repair, is sound either. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I shared my experience and was shot down by another board contributor who simply said to get a vented gas cap.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I shared my experience and was shot down by another board contributor who simply said to get a vented gas cap.

That is what happens when you post on public or semi public online forums. There will always be those who absolutely believe they are right no matter what, even when they're proved wrong.  Depending on the board and its moderation sometimes I post as a reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQhi1754w7U&ab_channel=RodSerlingChannel

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

Recently on another automotive forum, with most of the participants in the Barney, Elmer and George category, a poster needed assistance with a fuel odor on an early 70s Chevrolet.  From the post, it appears that someone disconnected the line to the charcoal canister and fuel is dripping out of that line.

I've actually been through this before back in the 90s and did a repair on a 1970 Chevrolet pickup with the same complaint.  I went to the wrecking yard and pulled a charcoal canister out of an early Chevrolet Malibu and hooked up the evaporative emissions system.  All fixed

Good luck with that bunch.  The OP has been told to get a vented gas cap which will simply vent the odor outdoors.  Not only will this individual evaporate gas at $5.00 per gallon (about 24 gallons a year), they will still have the smell and violate the Clean Air Act.

For less than $50, this problem could be solved.  But, Barney, Elmer and George know everything.

Hmm: problem with this is one does not know what modifications were done.

So it become opinion. Seems some did not like yours..

I would not have even made suggestions with out a great deal more info, and most likely photos etc.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Someone once told me I was full of it for disagreeing with their premise that the rough idle on their car was caused by a bad ring gear in the differential. Several long time forum experts (term used very loosely and one a moderator) also agreed that I was full of it.

According to these experts the ring and pinion gears must be a tight mesh to keep the engine in balance; otherwise the slop in the ring/pinion gear is allowing the gears to bang against each other and create the vibration at idle.

That has to be the most idiotic, half-baked mechanical theory I've ever heard; or at least one of them.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have heard Stuff like that on another Board, But they were Only

Playing games to baffle  the Poster.!

But its Good to hear once in a while on this Board

Just my 3.5 cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

They were dead wrong.  George, Elmer and Bubba again.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply