cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay managed payment fee volume discount

Will Ebay managed payments offer a discount on volume sales like paypal currently does?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ebay managed payment fee volume discount

When eBay sold PayPal, that was the worst mistake they ever made, now what, another online bank?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Sadly, this new payment system is not considered a "bank".  Nor is PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Facebook Pay... etc.  They are loosely regulated by each state and not directly by the Federal government.  So you and I, living in different states, are regulated differently and our protections as consumers are different as well.  And they tend to all rule differently when it comes to disputes.   And they constantly changing the rules.  Long-story short,  IMO keep little to nothing of $$ with these institutions and when purchasing, if you have to use them,  link a credit card to the account, not a savings or checking account.

A computer app is a reflection of its creator. Show me a robust computer app and I will show you an intelligent programmer.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I was recently forced into the managed payments system and it just went active for me a few days ago. I have not gotten a purchase of multiple items from a single buyer. From talking to their reps about the fee's taken out of the payment made by the buyer verses what will be due at the time the next invoice is due . At the time the buyer pays they are taking out a single final value fee for the full price the buyer paid including shipping and tax, So instead of a final value fee for the purchase price and a 2nd final value fee for the shipping. there is only one  final value fee which essentially would be the two final value fee's added together. Like with PayPal eBay does not give you the tax the buyer pays so their including the total of the tax paid by the buyer when figuring the final value fee to charge you for that sale seam a little shady but there is not much you can do about that. Also from what they said it sounds like each sales record there will be a 30 cent fee for processing the order. On multiple purchases if the buyer adds each item to a cart then there should only be the.30 cent fee for that order. If the buyer is on a mobile device or make multiple purchase 1 item at a time then there will be a .30 cent fee per item or per purchase. I had to make several calls to go over the questions i had and on the last call I actually got transferred to their new managed payments phone rep dept. On this call they informed me that there has also been a change to most of the final value fee's for the model train categories I was informed it increased to 11 percent. So on top  of taking 4 to 5 business days for the money to clear in my checking account with them using the tax the buyer paid to boost the amount of they are charging for the final value fee, the .30 cent fee per sales record, and the increase in the percentage of the final value fee to 11 percent, it does not seam like the total cost will be less than PayPal was infect it seams like a little more. With the longer time to access the money it is kind of scary. Other than buying shipping labels you really can not use the money till the funds have transferred and cleared you bank.  So if at the end of the month you need a few sells to cover the invoice ( which will be store subscription fee's, listing upgrades, and promoted add fee's) those final sales to cover what is owed will need to be made at least 1 week before the end on the month . In the past I would dip a little more than I probably should have into my funds on PayPal and let my final sales for the month go to covering my invoice. From now on I will really have to keep track of the funds in my checking account and the total due on the current or next months invoice before spending any of the money.

Also for shipping labels a lot of sellers have complained about having to wait 4 to 5 days on funds to transfer to you bank, then having to transfer money to PayPal to purchase the label. This is actually not needed. On the page before you click to purchase the label there is a option to select a different payment method. For each label you can select to deduct the cost of the label from the next transfer to your bank. This option appears to have to be selected each time but it will allow you to purchase labels the same day the item is purchase and you will be able to ship right away and meet your handle time and not have to wait on funds to be transferred and cleared through  multiple sources IE eBay. your bank. and PayPal. However to purchase it items online or pay a invoice you will have to use a credit card , debit card or PayPal.

The option to pay your invoice with PayPal seam redundant as you would need to transfer fund through multiple channels to do that option. Really they need to give sellers the option to pay their invoice with the funds not transferred to their bank and then jus transfer the money not needed to cover their bill with eBay a few times each month as they chose to. 

They claim that they are giving buyers more ways to pay but from a sellers perspective they are charging more and providing less access to funds on the sellers end. For the most part it is from selling off their most valuable asset just to partially duplicate it and not provide the sellers with the same functionality that they set as a industry standard with PayPal.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Besides the 11% plus 30 Cents there isnt there a processing fee also

Message 5 of 5
latest reply