cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image search option in the latest version of the app?

Previously it was possible to perform an image search in the eBay app by using a camera icon appearing the search bar, and from there choose to take a picture, select a picture from the gallery, or scan a bar code.

In the latest version of the eBay app, I now only see the option to scan a bar code; no icon for the camera or options for image searches in the search bar.

Has the feature been moved elsewhere, or has it been removed entirely from the eBay app?

Others have noticed the omission lately as well.

@janice1980-7 

@boatingo-83 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Image search option in the latest version of the app?

An update about the image search feature can be found here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Update-on-ebay-App-s-Visual-Search-Tool/td-p/32610451

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Nice to see they reduced our fees too temporarily.  Lol oh wait no they didn't.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

My opinion is that when eBay changed the search function by getting rid of so many of the categories, they could not make the photo search work anymore. “Temporarily” removing such a valuable tool sounds like it’s broken.

We can only hope they’re able to fix it.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@ozmalife wrote:

My opinion is that when eBay changed the search function by getting rid of so many of the categories, they could not make the photo search work anymore. “Temporarily” removing such a valuable tool sounds like it’s broken.

We can only hope they’re able to fix it.

@ozmalife  the update they gave on the eBay for Business podcast said that the image search function had experienced some "inconsistencies" and that was the reason for temporarily disabling it.

They didn't give specifics, but given the timing of when people started reporting they were not getting accurate results, it's certainly possible that changes to categories and/or item specifics from the Fall update didn't play well with the programing for this feature and caused inconsistent results.

They did also say that they are working to get the current version back as soon as possible but also that there is a new updated version of the feature in the works for later this year.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

I’ll be glad when eBay decide to put this valuable tool back at the top of our page like it was. I’m sure it’s a hassle when they do these updates to leave things that “ Aren’t broke, don’t try to fix them’ !!! Leave ‘em be ! 🙄

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

why?

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

I just had this happen to me. It made me upgrade and now I can not search items by photo search. I am a reseller and that sucks. I now have to know the brand and pattern of the dishes I buy to put in a search. I am not happy with the change. Is there a way to get the old version back?

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Change it back. Resellers use the camera option to find past previous sales or find out the names of patterns and items. Why doesn't Ebay ever do surveys to ask how to improve before they make changes. It sucks!!! Go back to the camera option.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

I used it frequently. NO problems. Sometimes it couldn't find the item by photo because maybe someone hadn't posted that item before. But I liked it and used it a lot. 

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Did you get an answer to this, I really need the photo option

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

When will this feature be restored? It’s desperately needed for research/listing building.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

The image search feature has been restored to the eBay app in version 6.54.0.2.

If you do not see the image search feature in the search bar, go to the Google Play Store and update your eBay app to the latest version.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Same here. What is the point of having the barcode there anyway if you can’t use it for the camera. 

baybgrlus
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

What is the point of having the barcode there anyway if you can’t use it for the camera.

The bar code reader option of the eBay app seems to be working for me using version 6.78.0.1, though I notice that it does not necessarily recognize every possible bar code.

Try a bar code on a recent book as a test.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed! Ebay image search was always spot on everytime but with Google Lens it's almost embarrassing with what results the app returns each time. I'll take a picture of a ring on my finger and Google Lens will return hand pic results... smh ..

Message 30 of 30
latest reply