cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platinum confusion !!

IMG_2073.jpeg

Hello everyone. I recently purchased this size 5 ring that’s marked P-t 925. I know the P.t is on the periodic table for Platinum. However I thought it came in 900 or 950. That leaves me confused about these hallmarks. Would it be a mix of platinum and sterling silver ? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Platinum confusion !!

Googling I found this 

When an item is stamped “925 Platinum,” it means that it is made of 92.5% platinum.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Platinum confusion !!

Careful here.  Even though blurry, this ring looks suspiciously like sterling silver to me.

It is very possible that the p.t is a manufacturer's mark; very misleading if that is the case.  An electronic tester could be helpful.

Of course, you need to be careful and have baking soda present, but one drop of nitric acid on the inside of the ring will also quickly tell you.  If the drop turns immediately a smoky grayish, brownish color, you have silver.  But if the silver is rhodium plated, or if the ring is platinum, it will sit on the ring like a drop of water.

Platinum also has a much heavier specific gravity and will feel heavier in your hand.  Another quick way to tell is to buff off any surface scratches.  Silver polishes easily and platinum takes forever to polish bright.

Best of luck, and let us know!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Platinum confusion !!

Yeah... that's not a platinum mark.  P.t is the makers mark and the purity 925 is for sterling silver. 925 is reserved specifically for silver.  850 900 950 and 999 is Platinum

Message 4 of 4
latest reply