cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewelry identification and value

Can anyone help me identify this necklace and maybe a value?

IMG_5064.jpeg

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Jewelry identification and value

@idealgems1 

I like your class, sure beats some of those nursing courses I had to pass!

Merry Christmas gem!

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

In trying to I.D. the type of ivory I was looking at for a small Persian box I have, I did a deeeeep dive into online (scientific) photos that compared all marine and land ivory (including mammoth)  against each other as well as various bone samples. Fully expecting my box to be finely sawn/crafted camel bone, I was surprised to find it is actually elephant tusk. There were even side by side close up examples of Asian and African tusks! I wish I could remember what site that was specifically on, but it was VERY helpful. It took hours of familiarization and an electron tunnelling microscope powered by uranium and stubborn determination, but it was incredibly useful, given the result. If you have any resources like that, ivory, stones, amber, etc., please share!

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Screenshot_20231221-160947.png

Screenshot_20231221-155318.png

This one 👇is an interesting example of your type of necklace, and features a similar clasp. I believe it's real ivory, though, so don't get too excited about the price...

Screenshot_20231221-163752.png

https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/1800-s-antique-multi-color-netsuke-necklace-embedded-signature-19-5...

The only examples of Haskell far east jade I've seen are truly green

jade bead necklaces and bracelets, I was hoping that you might have an unmarked or refurbished M. Haskell piece, but I'm pretty sure it's Japanese from around the 1940s-50s. 

Price seems to hover between $120-$300, and higher for real ivory. 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

wow… thank you so much for the work that you put into this. It’s truly amazing that there are such nice people out there that are willing to take time out of their schedule to help one another. I will book into all these. I can’t thank you enough Bob

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@maeday76 

Mae, I copied this nice site that goes into detail about different types of material used in carvings..

https://www.netsuke.org/page-1125375

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@viccari2006 

I had some time to work on this necklace this morning,  this sure is quite the stumped as we just don't know the type of materials used. So for listing purposes,  title what you know:

Asian beaded Netsuke figure multi strand necklace.

For your description......

be sure to measure, draw attention to hand painted beads, close up of the figure front and back. The pictures you have here are pretty good but you can add more on site.

Stay clear of words like ivory, jade, gold, without knowing what was used, don't guess.

Don't display this necklace in that Haskell box save that for a separate sale.

I love this fun necklace but the only thing that bothers me is that clasp, it's got wear to it and it cheap looking. Some jewelry maker went to alot of trouble with details on this piece and one would think a better made clasp would have been used.

I did locate a match to your beads

Screenshot_20231227_135700_Chrome~2.jpg

 there's that word, prosperity again, it showed up in your little Netsuke.  Is your beads porcelain?

I would agree with @maeday76 about pricing, around $150-$200, that's really not a bad price for all the details that your necklace gives.

Best of luck to you Bob (I did get your message, that's hard to hear, God speed) Silver

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Silver...once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the time and effort you have put into this...ive been doing a lot of research as well and i think i have a decent plan but there are still a lot of questions that i have...like...what are the orange beads, the green beads and the black beads...the beads that you show do look similar although mine are a different shape ....i still dont know what the netsuke like figure is made of and the clasp also concerns me...in my pics of the clasp, i know it looks black where it is worn a bit but it is actually silver...a magnet wont stick to it so im thinking maybe  a gold overlay on silver...but the overall workmanship  and detail is really is incredible!!!....so i am going to continue this fight...lol...unfortunately for me, i paid WAY more than the price you suggested so i am going to be as precise as i can be when i finally try and sell it...i dont want to put any more money into it but ive been trying to find a place where i can take it to have it looked at but no one around here deals with this kind of jewelry.....stumped is a great description!...Hope you had a great Christmas...thank you for the kind words about my message....Happy New Year.....God Bless...Bob

Message 22 of 22
latest reply