cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on jewelry authentication process

Hello. Curious is anyone here in the jewelry threads have heard of this: an item marked for AG review that sold for under the $500 mark. I have a bracelet and earring set, originally QVC 14K gold and blue topaz which sold  via auction under $500 and now ready to ship out. Ebay marked it for AG GIA verification. I'm fine with that part yet don't understand how the item qualified. I think it might be in part due to the maker's mark (TC) being similar to a high end label : Tiffany and Co. My listing clearly shows  photos and the mark. 

Thoughts? Advice on where to look?  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Questions on jewelry authentication process

@carolbearstreasures07 

Was that an auction only price, or did you also have an added Buy It Now price for $500+?

Have you tried to contact eBay CS from the Authenticity Guarantee help page? Not sure if that would bring you to the AG team or not, but they would need to explain how this happened.

U.S. Community Volunteer

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@carolbearstreasures07 

Was that an auction only price, or did you also have an added Buy It Now price for $500+?

Have you tried to contact eBay CS from the Authenticity Guarantee help page? Not sure if that would bring you to the AG team or not, but they would need to explain how this happened.

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That is a good observation. I was finally able to online chat w/ an agent and found out I had set a Buy Now price over $500. So that part qualifies for AG even if item sells for less. Good info to know going forward.

Also, since the item had already sold and was paid for, unfortunately the order details page no longer shows that (but it now) information. As buyers we can't always recall ever detail of a numerous listings. 

Glad I put this out there for others to find in case they come across something similar. 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@carolbearstreasures07 

Thanks for the update - mystery solved & good info to know for future!

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I am more confused than you. Why? I had listed a silver bracelet for over $500, not being aware that authentication applied to jewelry. I thought it was for designer purses & big name watches. I called CS eBay to learn more when I saw my listing with the authentication tag on it. eBay. Rep told me if the item I sell is over $500 it will automatically be "authenticated" by eBay's sources (GIA, for example). Ok, so I said if I reduce the price below $500 will it be authenticated?No, she said. So I said, if I take a loss & lower the cost, item won't be authenticated? She said "yes". I am CONFUSED now. Why? First of all, I like the plan for authentication as it rids eBay of some scammers or people who know nothing about jewelry & sell fakes, not even realizing sometimes that their items are fake. That's a good thing for everyone & creates trust & makes a good marketplace for everyone. HOWEVER, while I have been on eBay selling for 21 years, & trust eBay, I DO NOT TRUST USPS for a second, with many good reasons. So I would be reluctant to think that my item goes to eBay's center, is verified, & then goes to buyer. Too many possibilities of an item getting lost, damaged en route, &/or many other USPS dramas could happen BEFORE EN ROUTE the item arrives at eBay's authentication center. I don't want that hassle or worry. So I decided to take a loss & lower my price below $500, so I would have one less tracking concern. Then Today after I did that, I wanted to look at competitive items to make sure my pricing was appropriate. I searched & see that MANY MANY MANY items that are OVER $500 are NOT authenticated. WHY? Does eBay just randomly pick certain items? That made me uncomfortable AS THAT SAYS IT IS NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD . Next issue, I noted to the CS that I saw amber selling on eBay for thousands of dollars, and NONE had authentication.. Rep said the program is new & for the moment Turquoise & Amber are not authenticated. Blew my mind, since I sell Baltic amber that would pass any authentication,as I buy only from two very trusted dealers. But generally speaking there is a bit of plastic or replicas made in a foreign Eastern country that are NOT Baltic amber, even though titled that way by the seller,and they would not pass authenticity. Same with adulterated turquoise.So why would two of the stones that are most faked, be left out? I ask because I have very expensive amber pieces to list and wanted to know why a 950 fine silver bracelet would be authenticated if over $500 but an amber collectible necklace worth $l500 would not be authenticated. Confusing to me. I am not ready yet to list my amber as may sell it privately to former customers of my former BH store. But in case I want to sell here, I wanted to know the policy, as knowledge is power. I was simply told that the program may expand to turquoise & amber, but not at this immediate time.

However, I am still uncertain & do not understand why many cuff bracelets that are over $500 listed are NOT authenticated but my piece was selected to be authenticated. Why are not all bracelets over $500 up for authentication? Are we on a level playing field or not?

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS...I am hoping that someone knowledgeable re my concerns will address my questions & clarify for me. And that eBay understands this hesitancy in me ONLY comes from my past experiences with the nightmare that USPS can be, NOT a reflection on eBay's good idea to authenticate jewelry-that's long overdue EVERYWHERE, & a progressive move to ensure trust, and that benefits all sellers in the big picture.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply