cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opal with a crack through it

This is such a pretty pendant and never worn. Unfortunately i noticed a crack running through the stone. Do people ever buy damaged gemstones or should i move on and not bother w this one. Thanks all!BBA91B3F-D1C9-4112-81FB-48BD390DE73B.jpeg

CBF99F8B-C4F4-4A27-8216-80892E4FDCBC.jpeg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Opal with a crack through it

People will buy anything , If the price is right.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I sell opal rings, i've sold cracked ones i've made myself that cracked when setting. I just mention the price is reduced because it's cracked, which usually grabs a different type of buyer looking for a deal on a nice piece they might not have purchased for full price. Be sure to mention if the cracks make the stone structurally weaker. It's still a really nice stone.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Personally, I would still buy something like this. It's a beautiful stone and it almost looks like natural striations. With opals, I think it's nice to find an affordable natural stone, since there are so many simulated opals out there now that can be so bright that you can tell they are not natural. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Your opal ring, just remember to seal the crack or it will fill up in time and darken which will not look quite so good. Being a porous gemstone the crack will not clean up again. Do not leave it in a hot place or sun, as it will further open. Jillian.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 5 of 5
latest reply