cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brooch and earring ID help

Hello. I have a brooch and matching earrings that are unmarked, but seem like decent quality. Main stones are a pale pink, and the smaller stones are AB. All are prong set. My knowledge of jewelry is very limited, so any help would be appreciated. TYIA!IMG_0013.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0022.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The round stones are "aurora borealis" rhinestones. 

The pink stones are most likely glass based on the setting and the fact that they are next to the rhinestones; but it appears they are meant to imitate rose quartz.  Look under magnification for any gas bubbles in the stones.  Also check for vitreous conchoidal fracture...that's a fancy way of saying that chips look like circular glassy chips in a pop bottle.  Indication of glass are gas bubbles (may be elongated or teardrop shape), vitreous conchoidal fracture, swirl marks in the glass, warm to the touch, and concave flat areas (the glass shrinks as it cools).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you! After I posted this, I did notice a bubble in the brooch and figured it was glass. I don't know if it has much in the way of value, but it is pretty. Thanks again for your input.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Costume jewelry pricing is out of the area of my expertise, but you are right, it's a pretty set and there's a buyer out there somewhere for it!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply