cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay changing jewelry category policies mean COMPLETE UPHEAVAL OF JEWELRY SALES

eBay announced policy changes distinguishing categories will create chaos and confusion in jewelry sales and affect all jewelry sellers. How is it there is just one thread relating to the policy change on this board?  Is discussion of the change among jewelry sellers going on elsewhere?

I am reeling trying to get my arms around all of the implications.  Anyone else?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Do you have a link for it? I did not know it was changing TY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

As far as I can tell, this new rule affects only items that might be listed in Fine or Fashion and does not affect items that are listed in Vintage (if it does, we are really screwed).  Most of the sellers here sell only vintage jewelry.

I just now had a hard time relisting a "Goldtone Necklace with Faux Jade Chip Butterfly" - they insisted it belonged in Fine.  I finally just changed Faux Jade to Green.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

I called Ebay yesterday. I always list in mens jewelry as I make handmade mens jewelry. They told me that I was ok as this rules applies only to those listing in fine or fashion catagory. The Rep. seemed to be know, for a change, and she confirmed that this was the case.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I disagree that this will not affect Vintage jewelry, men's jewelry, or handmade categories.  Will eBay not apply this same standard to the distinction of fine and costume within the vintage category?  Will they not continue to bias listings in the vintage category by the prevalence of gold plated rather than gold tone in the item specifics, search "drill down" and title suggestions? Are not our listings being excluded from typical searches by "implicit" category search algorithms?  Will not buyers be dissuaded from buying on ebay when basic distinctions between fine and fashion jewelry is in a mess?  I think the answer to all is YES.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I would respectfully suggest that those interested in the new policy, take a look here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2016-Spring-Seller-Update/Update-to-jewelry-categories-Silver-plated-or...

It is more confusing than ever with the ebay blue telling us that 24K plated brass will now be considered a precious metal.  (see post 21 unless it is pulled). 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

All I know is that I questioned this rep. very carefully and I was told this affects only the fashion and fine catagories and if I only use the men's jewlery catagory it would not affect me, to continue as I had been doing.. So I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens next. I guess if it affects the other jewelry catagories then everyone will really only have two catagories to choose from fine or fashion and all other jewelry catagories will be eliminated.
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I am assuming this new rule has already taken effect, hence my problems listing a faux jade pendant, with ebay telling me it belonged in "Fine" Jewelry.

I have already listed a sterling silver necklace in Jewelry>Vintage>Costume>Designer Signed and it did not tell me to list it as Fine.  I didn't get any message from ebay about it. 

So I still believe it affects only items that might be listed as Jewelry> Fashion or Jewelry>Fine.

Has anyone else experienced problems?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Has anyone else experienced problems?

Not even going to try. As others have suggested, I sell "vintage"  jewelry items and post them for sale someplace else now.    Faux jade on gold filled metal should be listed in "fine" according to the new policy update news and the ebay rep posting to the thread  since there "is some gold in there"....LOL... Buyers are going to think you are some sort of scammer in competition with the pacific rim sellers of "silver plated vintage style".....Good luck. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

To me this is about ebay giving up and in to the Pacific Rim Scammers who have /are already in trenched in Categories every honest Seller uses correctly. Now ebay can blow off those who complain with the answer that "It is allowed!"

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

I too am wondering where a larger discussion of the new jewelry policy is taking place, if at all.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

What is there to discuss? 

Do the new rules make sense at all to anyone that is familiar with jewelry?  H-e-l-l-o ... not even a little bit.  Thank goodness I sell vintage!

I wouldn't list within these new guidelines put out by eBay in their fine and costume jewelry categories.  I just wouldn't.  I would list my fine and contemporary costume jewelry else where.

But as has been said and proven many times over the years, this is eBay's play ground.  They make the rules.  They don't have to make sense and they don't have to be fair and they now don't even have to be honest, but they are in the driver's seat.  There is no discussion.   It's simply the way it is going to be, unless someone in eBay's organization gets a clue, and they haven't had a real good track record on that score either.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

YOU are noy slonr.alone> i am so confused about using categproes fpr costume or fine jewelry.. i CALLED eBay for help, but got conflicting info,as automated rejected thei explanations

i tWO CS REPS gave me opposite answers & 2nd one  told me to delete my newest listing. until clarified.

I lose insert money & sale visbility.on $l05 item, which for me is high sale item. I am stressed for no reason at all.

On one .925 item, automated  popup  says list item in Fine jewelry (but it isn't fine at all-costume, 925) & then when I pick another item that is .925 with truquoise gemstone, just to test the system,  and try to put in fine jewelry category, get a new popup that says you are trying to list fashion jewelry in fine and NOT TO DO SO.

The exact opposite of the first listing. How can they b different...if gemstone & sterling are FINE in one, then turquoise gemstone & sterling should be in FINE, ALSO, but popup says no.

I am beyond confused. Rep told me not to list more items until issue clarified. But how will I know and that's putting my biz "on hold". . Really don't know who to call next.And since when do plated items go into FINE jewelry?Makes no sense, any of it, to me.

If it makes sense to you and  u can advise, please do as right now I am in tears from being tolld two opposite views. Reps were darling, nice & wanted to help, but coudln't really help as they knew little about jewelry categories, apparently.  I asked when my ? would be answered, and rep said Iwould receive an email. Not so far, have I received any of course, as it takes time for them to generate such, Iwould imagine. So I am left in LIMBO.and cannot list now as don't know what categories to use.

i WILLBE HAPPY TO comply with eBay rules, but first have to understand them. I haveave sold jewelry 30+ years and KNOW that no one I know in the biz, considers sterling jewelry to be FINE..to me, FINE is platinum, sold gold l4-l8-22-24 karats, not plated, not dipped, not overlayed, SOLID.
And .950 silver is considered FINE, but not .925

HELP
!

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

YOU are noy slonr.alone> i am so confused about using categproes fpr costume or fine jewelry.. i CALLED eBay for help, but got conflicting info,as automated rejected thei explanations

i tWO CS REPS gave me opposite answers & 2nd one  told me to delete my newest listing. until clarified.

I lose insert money & sale visbility.on $l05 item, which for me is high sale item. I am stressed for no reason at all.

On one .925 item, automated  popup  says list item in Fine jewelry (but it isn't fine at all-costume, 925) & then when I pick another item that is .925 with truquoise gemstone, just to test the system,  and try to put in fine jewelry category, get a new popup that says you are trying to list fashion jewelry in fine and NOT TO DO SO.

The exact opposite of the first listing. How can they b different...if gemstone & sterling are FINE in one, then turquoise gemstone & sterling should be in FINE, ALSO, but popup says no.

I am beyond confused. Rep told me not to list more items until issue clarified. But how will I know and that's putting my biz "on hold". . Really don't know who to call next.And since when do plated items go into FINE jewelry?Makes no sense, any of it, to me.

If it makes sense to you and  u can advise, please do as right now I am in tears from being tolld two opposite views. Reps were darling, nice & wanted to help, but coudln't really help as they knew little about jewelry categories, apparently.  I asked when my ? would be answered, and rep said Iwould receive an email. Not so far, have I received any of course, as it takes time for them to generate such, Iwould imagine. So I am left in LIMBO.and cannot list now as don't know what categories to use.

i WILLBE HAPPY TO comply with eBay rules, but first have to understand them. I have sold jewelry 30+ years and KNOW that no one I know in the biz, considers sterling jewelry to be FINE..to me, FINE is platinum, sold gold l4-l8-22-24 karats, not plated, not dipped, not overlayed, SOLID.
And .950 silver is considered FINE, but not .925/ iF YOU set a genuine gemstone in .925 it is considered still 'costume" not FINE. If you set a gemstone in .950 or gold solid then it is Fine.

HELP
!

Message 15 of 31
latest reply