cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whew! Am glad a kind soul helped me find you all! Help pls with ID

If it's against the rules to just link the place on the other board to where I posted photos, please let me know and I will create a whole new post.  I will be sure to replace the old bookmark with this one - thank you!

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Jewelry-Gemstones/Help-with-ID-for-this-rather-unusual-necklace-of-carv...

KD - Remember, STORE searches = hidden treasure!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

My guess would be that these are molded celluloid.  1930s-1940s would be my guess on the age.  It's very pretty. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi KD, LTNS!

I second celluloid, but not sure if its molded or carved.  Its been tested for bakelite or catalin? The carving of the beads and type of clasp reminds me of that, and its the only other things I could think of.

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

also just saw somwthing similar that was dyed, carved vegetable ivory.  These mostly sem to be buttons tho. Cant find any examples in jewelry

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Glad to see you here OP Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Are the beads heavy?  I also thought of bakelite.

Carolynheart

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Waving to all! 

If soeone put these in my hands while I was blindfolded, the weight and sharpness would probably say "bone" to my brain -- they are VERY sharp and appear dyed so I will test for bakelite and research catalin & vegetable ivory... they are sharp almost to the point they may scratch delicate skin on a fair neck -- so I'm thinking not molded.

Apprecaite the resourceful help & knowledge always shared here and will report back on my test & research results - thanks to all!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

...and apparently I cannot spell this evening 😞

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

just searched some carved celluloid and I suspect that's what I'll confirm after testing -- it's So sharp!  BTW<you guys are STILL amazing after all of these years!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply