cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, I'm complaining. . . but was it me or eBay???

When I resumed selling on June 30th after a 4 month break, at first I thought search results may have improved because the percentage of my sales went up. 8 of the 12 listings I posted sold. I've looked at recent traffic and now believe searches are just as sporadic as ever, are generating fewer views and disappointing sales.

I.e., two of my 12 listings were 99¢ lot auctions. I thought they were good lots. One contained 6 pairs of nice dressy rhinestone earrings, including D&E. The other contained 20 diverse heart charms/pendants,.

Closing results on 7/12 after 10 days: earring lot sold for $1.41 (about 23¢ each, LOL). It had 2 bidders and 18 views. Heart charms lot sold for $1.25. It had 2 bidders, and 25 views. 

These are not the only listings that got low views. They all did, but I expected more from them, and with 99¢ starting prices, thought they would draw attention to my other auctions. I've noticed this before, but this time I was wrong on both counts. 

What caused the results - ebay searches or was it me? The first thing a buyer sees is a photo and title. I think both should be compelling enough to prompt views. Were my photos and titles really that bad?  Duration too long? I don't want to make mistakes that result in poor sales, if I can help it. LOL 

I'd like to know what others think. What can I do to improve. Critiques are welcome, if you feel like looking at the 2 auctions and commenting. It won't hurt my feelings if you're candid.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Well, I'm complaining. . . but was it me or eBay???

I don't think it is anything you are doing--search seems to be hit or miss--sometimes you get the view but it happens to me very seldom. I have had awful results with .99 auctions--mine sold for about the same as yours and they were nice items--I sure don't do that anymore. I do see big sellers using .99 auctions, but they seem to get the bids--perhaps merely because they ARE Big sellers and generate more fees for Ebay. It all seems to be a **bleep** shoot these days but ebay still gets the most action of any of the other sites so I soldier on! Have had a good summer at the local collectible and antique shops I have thing in so that is positive at least. I think the best advise I have seen here is to start things are an amount you can live with if that is the only bid you get--it sure 'aint' like the old days on Ebay!!!!
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I'd never list anything for 99 cents these days, unless I just wanted to be rid of it and then I'd probably just donate it.  It's easier.  The local senior center makes out like a bandit from my "why do I have this" pile.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Your pictures and descriptions look very nice to me, ms. sellainy.  Something that might boost search results is to offer seller paid returns.  I'm forced to offer it to maintain my TRP status.  Fortunately, I have very few returns, so it's worth it to me to offer it in order to receive my 10% discount and better search placement, but I don't feel happy about it.  I honestly don't know if offering free returns would behoove you because there's no way to tell if it would result in more sales.  

As for auctions, I'm the instant gratification type.  I rarely ever bid on auctions.  The only time I offer them is when I just can't come up with a price for an item or when I know it's going to be a hot item.   Because of whatever hidden forces seem to be manipulating search results, it's become risky to run auctions on average items starting at low prices.  I reiterate the advice given before to start your auctions at your happy price and hope to get at least one bid.  

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If you're relying solely on eBay for eyeballs, don't. Several reasons. One, eBay's search function is incomprehensible and is probably written with new-SKU commodity products in mind, not unique AVC items. Two, eBay is SO huge and there are SO many items that fit the same criteria (in the eyes of the algorithm) that everything gets buried. And three, many of your target buyers aren't shopping on eBay at all - they've moved to Etsy or to social sites.

Facebook. Pinterest. Instagram. Tumblr. Twitter. Even if you can't sell directly on those platforms (and I can't see eBay ever allowing the use of social sales channels, they're too wedded to their walled garden) you can show your items with a link.

flotsamlogo
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I just looked at your listings and your heading listings are right on.  I opened a few of your listings and the details you give on your pieces is100%.  Matter of fact I put your bracelet on my watch list.  I also like the butterfly brooch too.  Dreampeddler advice is excellent.  I accept refunds but the buyer pays the return postage.  I just had a pair of riding boots returned because they didn't fit the buyer.  It cost me $17.00 to ship the item in a large priority box but the seller had to pay that to return to me.  (cost of item I add shipping cost in my price)  I would have hated to pay that cost in both ends and not have a sale.  Advice from evelyb30 is right on about 99 cent auctions.  If I just want to get rid of something I start an auction at 4.99 so at least it covers the shipping..  I do like to list a few of my items at auctions but I start them at my happy price.  Then if I don't get any bids then the item goes on a fixed price listing.  Only other advice I give is in your description of condition.  I don't think "very pretty" applies to condition.  Also I do see several buyers put in "pre-owned vintage condition".  Not sure that gives me an idea of condition - only that the item is used.  Good statement that covers you but I'm not worried if I say good condtion or state the item needs cleaning.  Some of your items are out of my price range and that could be why your sales are not there.  Not saying your pirces are wrong = buyers are looking for a bargain.  Sorry my message got so long. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

I'd never list anything for 99 cents these days, unless I just wanted to be rid of it and then I'd probably just donate it.  It's easier.  The local senior center makes out like a bandit from my "why do I have this" pile.

Agree - $3 is the new 99 cents.  Some items sit but if you can wait it out you might get full price. Some items just wont sell at any price.  Ergo, there's Goodwill to take them off your hands.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Thank you everyone, for replying. I apologize in advance for this long post (it will teach me not to complain next time), and for not responding promptly. This is my first opportunity. After reading the comments, I've decided I need to focus on happy prices, and to consider my prices carefully, avoid mixing my opinion with facts in descriptions. I shouldn't expect better placement in searches unless I'm willing to pay the price. I should drop my unreasonable expectations, and remember that I'm not the only one with selling issues. I knew going in that I was taking a risk with 99¢ lot auctions, but decided to be happy with whatever came. I just didn't expect being happy would be so painful. LOL. Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders and for sharing your helpful insights.

Hertz, your voice of experience resounds with wisdom. I feel encouraged by your example too. Back in the days, I would start almost every auction for $1.00 (I didn't know enough to start them at 99¢). They worked for me then, still work for big sellers as you said, but times have change. I guess I was being idealistic to expect better results. I will put forth some effort to explore selling alternatives. Nice to hear yours are doing well.

evelyb, I like your point of view. I think I've been railing against what can't be changed with 99¢ auctions, only exasperated (smile), I plan to use them only as suggested if ever again!

dream, I think you've described how to have an optimal ebay experience. TRS status probably does result in better sales. I'm just not willing to embrace all of the requirements. I'm still a power seller by eBay standards, but I gave up my TRS discount voluntarily, awhile back when it dropped to 10%. Now, I think you have to offer 30 day free returns also. eBay's hoops got higher and higher. I want to choose only the ones I can jump through. 

I recently adopted the 30 day return policy, a big concession for me, but Seller-paid returns???  I'm not a high volume seller and fear what opening this box can do. Oh the other hand, I don't get many returns either, so the impact of free returns may be less significant than I imagine, so I'd be willing to try it if it meant better visibility, but I wouldn't regain TRS status that way. The kicker for me would still be handling time. I ship fast as a rule, within 2 days, but I don't like feeling pressured into it. I'd rather fulfill a buyer's expectations within comfortable perimeters, my comfort zone, where the potential for stress is low. 

bluedaemon. I've only relied on eBay but will explore the options for more eyes on my listings and other platforms. I'm looking for a way to curb the growing number of things that don't sell on ebay, that just take up room after being re-listed 2 or 3 x. 

dins, I appreciate your comments. I think it's okay to call something very pretty when I think it is. I do this frequently, but I agree, the term doesn't describe an item's condition. I never intended it to. If you came away with a different impression, I need to be moe careful. I often make statements like, "Beautiful and in very good condition," or less frequently, "In beautiful condition," using the word "beautiful," as a superlative that describes how the item looks, but I routinely go on to include actual details of condition. I'll review my listings and make any changes that are needed. Maybe it's time I included a chart that defines the adjectives I use to describe jewelry, for the sake of being clear. I see that many sellers do this.

rixstuff, your post made me lol. Thanks for the comic relief. I feel a whole lot better - pun intended.

Thanks again everybody. I can always count on you when I go off my beam!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I can't tell when you started and ended your listing so I can't critique it, however, as a frequent buyer, I can tell you that I only sell Sunday to Sunday because I get outbid most on Sundays evenings when trying to buy. People are at home, dreading the workweek ahead and bidding on the couch in the evenings. 

I get my best bargains Wednesday through Friday so if you are ending those days and anytime before 6 pm your item isn't being seen except by deep searchers and collectors. 

Keywords are key. The title is often truncated in the search results list on my phone app. Put your meatiest descriptive words at the beginning of the title. 

I do Sunday to Sunday lots every week at .99 with free shipping and I cannot complain about the results I get. Then again, i do it for the fun of it and not to make a profit so that may not be comfortable for you to try.

Use social media to promote your items. I personally despise Pinterest and do not use it, but Instagram seems to work well and you can put a link to your ebay page in your header there. The earrings deserved a higher ending price. I hope some of this helps.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Just want to thank authenticvintage for her advice on this post.  I try to list my auctions on the weekends but yesterday (Sunday) all I manged was taking my pictures for the lots I want to sell.  I do auctions in the evenings and find that has worked well for me.  My Buy It Now listings I put on anytime since I don't think when they end matters.  I could be wrong on that.  I also agree with another answer to this post that sometimes something just doesn't sell.  Facebook also works for me. Just sold a large jewelry box that was going to cost way too much to ship to a facebook friend.  Nice to see her in person when we met at Starbucks. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Those are really good tips, authenticvintage. I find ALL of them helpful - astute and practical advice. Thank you.

I think your post is also very intuitive. You addressed 3 things I had more questions about, and now have fewer: the placement of keywords in the title, other social media to explore, and indirectly, your post prompted me to consider the benefits of sticking to a routine selling schedule. My auctions might be easier to find if I managed to do this.

Here's a tip for finding start and finish dates of auctions: There's a list of links on the left side of a seller's page of active listings. It  includes "sold" and "completed" listings. Clicking one of these will bring up closed auctions. My 99¢ lot auctions can be found this way.

I believe they just fell off the grid and weren't broadly seen. The consensus here seems to be, that while there are several ways to improve sales, my photos and descriptions are okay. Of course, I do prefer profit over loss from my selling efforts but that's not the only reward. IMO, even failed listings have something to offer, and even at a loss, there's pleasure in knowing that at least someone got a good deal. If I ever do this again, I hope I will avoid literally proving eBay's assertion that it pays to shop on eBay, lol.

dins, I think you make a good point re BIN listings. The start date seems irrelevant, and I enjoyed your comments about facebook and the happy transaction. That's encouraging.

I'm sorry for making this thread so long. I've aired some of my most serious eBay concerns though I tried making them concise. I've received helpful, supportive, and insightful responses, beyond my expectations. I appreciate each one of them, from each one of  you. Thanks everybody!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I only do a couple or few each week, but I create them throughout the week when I get home from work, schedule them for later then release them on Sunday. This has helped me and there is no pressure to get it done at the last minute. This also indexes them fully so they are visible as soon as I release them. 

Glad that I could help out!

eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

a.v., I like what you're doing. It sounds like you've found a comfortable and effective pace. I hope to achieve this someday. 

The 99¢ lot auctions were supposed to be preliminary in a plan to post previously unsold items (of which I've amassed a bundle) for 99¢, assuming the 2 lots did well. When they closed, I thought, never again. LOL. 

Now I'm not so sure. Seeing examples of 99¢ lot auctions that performed reasonably well, seems like a good reason not to abandon them altogether. Considering the amount of jewelry I hope to sell, 99¢ lot actions may eventually be my best option.

I'm now vacillating between applying the motto, "If at first you don't succeed, try try again," or considering this motto a definition of insanity for me at  this time, and just rethink happy prices or put together inexpensive, but not 99¢ lots. I just want to move the jewelry along, and use as many newfound tools and ideas to boost visibility, as I can.

BTW, I love your collage photos!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Thank you! It is all done right from my Samsung phone. I agree it is all about finding what works for you. In that, I had to, as a buyer, find out what wasn't working when I wanted to buy. What do I get outbid on and when. 

The most important key for me though, is making sure that this stays fun for me. Playing in the jewelry is fun. Tripping over the thousands of pieces I had accumulated over 20 years was not. I made a solid commitment to clean it out and I did, keeping only the pieces that spoke to me. So I buy and sell each week. I might buy 800 pieces and out of that, I may find one special piece for myself. I also take pieces for my daughter who loves elephants, my granddaughter who loves unicorns, etc. I put those on the windowsill. Everybody gets something. The rest, I separate, arrange, photo and sell. I want other people to be excited when they open their packages. I don't feel the need to keep all of the good stuff. It adds up and I can't wear everything!

Keep it fun, with no stress, and I think the rest just follows.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I do want to add, I am no longer a TRS, I am "above standard", I do not accept returns as a rule, nor am I a powerseller any longer. So, with that said, all of the goals that I used to struggle to meet to maintain those statuses are no longer on my radar. I did that for years, so MUCH stress! I don't need it. This is actually fun for me, for the first time.

Which means, most of you who are TRS or PS and accept returns should do much better than I do. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply