cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage broach

My Mother passed away in 2010 at the age of 89. This broach belonged to her mother and I would like

to see if anyone can tell me what the stones are. 

Melvina pin and Aunt Clem stickpin birthstone 013.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Vintage broach

Looks like enamel on brass on the outer edge Is the center cold to the touch? Can we see a pic of the back? Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The center of the brooch looks like Peking Glass, the rest looks like enamel. Can you post a pic of the back too?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The back is cold but the middle stone doesn't feel cold, just maybe cool. Of course that might be me just holding it. The stones around the edge are cold.

Back of Melvina broach 001.JPG

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Czech brass and glass for sure, probably early 1930s.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It looks like the pin has been replaced and whom w we painted the front brown over painted to the stones.

As for the stones, they don't look like enamel paint to me maybe dyed Howlite? Or even acrylic or ceramic?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

They are probably colored glass. There was no acrylic or dyed howlite in the 1930s, though there were other plastics. I agree the center stone looks like Peking glass. It's a cool piece. I like jewelry from that era, and most of the ones I have, have glass stones.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I second Czech and peking type art glass.  That enameling on the front is typical of Czech work, but it is chipped a tiny bit.  Would date to before WWII

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for your fast responses. Mom's mother died in 1938 so sounds like the dates right. The pin has

been stored in my in the old trunk and when we were kids we open it up in the barn. Finally my uncle let me pick

one item and promise not to get in it again.

Of course my Mother took it away and put it in her cedar chest and then it became mine again after I was grown.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I meant to tell you that i'm doing a shadow box for my Grandmothers things and of course this will go in it.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Aww that is very sweet You should post a pic when it's done!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 11
latest reply