cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage / Antique Cameo Pin Brooch That's In Need of Identification

Hi there family and it's been a while. I have this either antique or vintage cameo brooch pin purchased at a flea market last weekend that's in need of identification.  Measuring approx.  1  3/8" x 1.5"  in total , cameo has ornate enamel and seed pearl boarder. Pretty weighted, I see no markings so far other than some letters and numbers on back of cameo's back but the metal appears to look like gold although not tested.

Would love to clean item (she's a little dirty) but not sure  how to clean for fear of damage.  Any additional information or suggestions about this item will be Greatly Appreciated and Thanks as Always for looking at my post.

040 (2).JPG034 (2).JPG027 (2).JPG054 (3).JPG040 (2).JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vintage / Antique Cameo Pin Brooch That's In Need of Identification

What made me say hardstone was the writing I saw on the back of the cameo. Also I didn't see any air bubbles.

Curious about the mark. What does it say?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

That`s one of the prettiest 'lady' cameos I`ve seen in a long time!  So delicate.  

In looking at your back view pic..it almost looks like rose gold some of the 'balls' & the pin catch...but probably just the lighting.  But you should probably have it tested as nice as it is

No idea on cleaning it tho..I`d be afraid  lol   Better see what other say.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I second getting that metal tested! Looks like a very fine cameo to me. The pin back looks like a possible replacement, I see one large area on the border of the brooch itself that looks like it is very flat... maybe where an old clasp used to be? That clasp dates from probably the 1910's to 20's. I think the cameo is carved sardonyx stone, I don't see the telltale curve of shell on the back.

As far as cleaning it, I wouldn't go further than a very soft and dry baby toothbrush. A little damp with water only would probably be ok if lightly scrubbing dry doesn't work, but I would use bottled water and I definitely wouldn't use any soaps or chemicals. 

It's absolutely gorgeous! 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Exquisite carving   The clasp looks original to me 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Beautiful. I am also seeing a hardstone cameo.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Let me first say, this is simply my opinion.

I don't believe this is a carved sardonyx stone cameo.  To me, this looks more like a molded glass cameo, but I don't have this piece in hand, so can only base my opinion on the pictures.  To me, the cameo looks molded because it looks more molded, soft edges and not the normally sharper edges of a carved piece.  If you look at the 4th picture there appears to be chips, that I associate with glass rather than stone.  I believe this is an austro-hungarian revival piece of jewelry.  

If you look at the picture of the back of the piece at about 3 o'clock, I think I am seeing wear that I normally associate with plating rather than karat gold.  

I do believe this is a great piece and really like the subject of the cameo.  Again, these are just my opinion based on the pictures, I could be way off base.  I would think getting the gold tested would be a must.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I would definitely agree with you Sandy, except for the signature on the back of the cameo. As far as I know I don't think someone would mark a glass molded cameo,  and I think I can see some light carving marks just outside of the face. I think the smoothness of the piece really illustrates the fineness of the carving, and hardstone can chip just like glass.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hopefully these photos are much clearer. I do appreciate all the back in forth debating comments about this cameo, I haven't gotten it professionally tested yet but I did run a 10k and 14k acid test from the outer back boarder frame and both lines on each haven't faded.

Any additional comments on the cameo I do appreciate and Thanks as Always.....

DSCN0523.JPGDSCN0504 (2).JPGDSCN0542.JPG

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

What made me say hardstone was the writing I saw on the back of the cameo. Also I didn't see any air bubbles.

Curious about the mark. What does it say?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Re the acid test results. A very long time ago on one of the previous incarnations of the Jewelry Board information was posted that sometimes a high karat Plating was done over another karat to enhance the appearance.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I understand what you're saying and I will get metal professionally tested.  I've sold and acid tested hundreds of gold pieces prior, as far as this cameo in discussion, I've scraped almost half of the ball off on the back frame (probably not a good move) but I'm very confident it's atleast 14k at this point. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Having it test higher would be great.

I have my fingers crossed x🙂x

Maybe they can also test the Cameo with a gem tester?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply