cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling Silver arts & crafts movement style pin mark ID

IMG_20160415_234745.jpgIMG_20160415_234553.jpgIMG_20160415_235052.jpg

Hello All,

I have this sterling silver pin with hand pierced design and blackened frame. It looks kind of Arts & Crafts movement style. Is this a period piece or newer. I looked on all the silver sites and can find nothing on this mark, any comments or help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dorothy

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The piece appears to be cast and not hand pierced,most likely made after 1940.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You should look at Celtic designs, I'm pretty sure I see that style in your lovely pin.  I agree with Holly that the pin looks cast and  with the dating of the piece. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Maybe mid eastern? I get an Islamic vibe Smiley Happy

edit: OOOHHHH Celtic, Sandy sniped me, that may be!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

To me the design looks like a book plate illumination. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your helpful comments. The pin is unusual and larger size, 2" across.  I guess the country of origin and the mark will remain a mystery........

Dorothy 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I like your pin.

I think that since it's marked sterling it originated in an English speaking country. I'm guessing the United States (although it could be Canada, Australia etc.). Middle Eastern countries and most of Europe use obscure/strange marks (lions and crabs and heads oh my). 

I can't really see the maker's mark. My eyes are old and the mark could use a cleaning which would make it easier to read. If you are really interested in doing the research, I suggest you go to your local libarary and take out this book and go page by page.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Jewelry-Manufacturers-Dorothy-Rainwater/dp/0887401201

Good luck!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I agree with Celtic, the word Renaissance comes to mind too.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply