cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I polish Tiffany Sterling Silver

I have a beautiful Tiffany necklace and bracelet set from an estate sale. I am planning to list them once I replace the damaged box. They are quite tarnished and the bracelet has alot of small scratches. Usually I sell Native American and vintage jewelry and leave it tarnished since many vintage buyers want it to show its age. Should I polish the set before listing it?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Should I polish Tiffany Sterling Silver

I vote no on polishing.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I agree, definite no! If a piece is so tarnished you can't see any of the detail, I wI'll clean some off by just rubbing my thumb on it, just so the buyer can see what the piece really is. Otherwise leave the cleaning up to them. There is always a possibility of damaging something, and you wouldn't want to end up trying to sell a damaged piece.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You will want to authenticate it before listing it on ebay.  You don't want to mess with Tiffany!

It's not that easy to get their new silver lines authenticated...you can't just take it into a Tiffany store and ask.  But there are some things to look for...(like weight, soldering, etc.), that might be helpful.  I would be careful with something purchased at an estate sale...

Do you have any available pictures?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

JMHO, tarnish is not patina, it is damage. I polish all silver I sell. Polishing will allow you to see any damage and reveal marks.

You can use a gentle polish to clean off the tarnish. You do not want to polish it to a high shine like it is new. But like I said, JMHO Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

The bracelet and necklaceThe bracelet and necklace

The stampsThe stamps

Some dents visible on the bracelet and the tarnishSome dents visible on the bracelet and the tarnish

Here are some photos for the curious. I am 100 percent sure that this is an authentic set. I did not originally post photos because I am not looking for authenticity opinions just an opinion on polishing. (I hope this doesn’t sound rude, I just know most people ask about authenticity and I didn’t want to get replies arguing about authenticity and ignoring my question as has happened to me on another board) This is the Tiffany Signature X sterling necklace and bracelet from 1990. The stamps are appropriate for this line and they are very heavy pieces that are the correct weight for the line.  The necklace and bracelet have different sized x pieces and so they do not exactly match each other on the back but that is correct for these pieces. I have researched this set extensively. It was made the year I was born so I was happy to purhase it. I just find it extremely heavy to wear and the bracelet is too large on me.  I know no one will do a Tiffany authentication so I have not paid anyone for a useless certification.  The tarnish is spotty and most Tiffany seems to be sold polished so that is why I am trying to decide if I want to polish or not. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

If this were my set, I would polish it.  I agree with Maria, this is tarnish and not patina.  

You say you have done extensive research on this set.  The ones you have seen, are they polished of left with the tarnish?  I think I would use that as your guide.  If you decide to polish it, use a sunshine cloth and start out with a little polishing and go from there.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I would polish it as well...I have only seen Tiffany sterling pieces that were polished when worn, and I think that the tarnish takes away from the look of the set.  Glad to hear that you have researched it extensively...! 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

All the others were sold polished. I like the vintage look and have been wearing the necklace as is. The bracelet flies off my arm. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

If I were you, since you like the set, I would take it to a jeweler and have them remove 1 or 2 links from the bracelet so it fits Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Not just age but many folks have reactions to the cleaners so best to leave it be.  Have you looked on the Tiffany site and authenticated them?  There were many Tiffany counterfeits out of China around in the early days of Ebay, claiming to be from teh Tiffany Outlet (that doesnt exist).  Do some checking first before listing.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@mforjan wrote:

If I were you, since you like the set, I would take it to a jeweler and have them remove 1 or 2 links from the bracelet so it fits Smiley Happy

And save the removed links for earrings.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

@mforjan wrote:

And save the removed links for earrings.

OOOHHHH! YES!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Tiffany does not authenticate anything anymore. They will clean their authentic items but I am two hours from the nearest store.  

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

738F6C43-7509-4AE0-8FE7-9A90B4AA0582.jpeg

I do love the necklace so I have considered just selling the bracelet.  

Message 15 of 18
latest reply