cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screw back earring mark identification?

penrose-stairs
Adventurer

Hi! I have a pair of cabbage rose screw back earrings and was wondering if the eight-pointed starburst/compass was a jeweler's mark or merely decorative. Thank you for your time!

606B4A71-4721-4071-899A-ABFA65C85C2F.jpeg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Screw back earring mark identification?

Hi there,

These stars are not emblems. They are a pattern to help avoid slippage by causing friction. Please note they are not the same size. It's most probably engraved after the user complained about tightness. Eight Pointed Star is the only common pattern which avoids slippage on rotating disk 

Hope I am helpful 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

How would this stop slippage if it’s on the back end of the screw (vs next to the ear)?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I wonder the same thing? If it were on the pad side instead of the thumbscrew side...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sometimes the criss cross goes all the way to the edge creating a Petal design which makes it easier to turn.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

By rule of thumb, flat and perfectly smooth surfaces have tendency of slight. Corrugated edges can not be filed to bring back the original condition on some earring screw backs and most of less expensive made Watch Crowns because metal is way too thin. As you see, the whole corrugated edge is gone on right and almost none visible on left 

Although looking solid but the sheet metal made into wheel with corrugated edge is pressed material and very thin. Repair person had no choice but to create some friction by gouging into flat and smooth side. 

Anyway ... Not to bore you. In my opinion, this eight wing star is not an emblem but it serves as a mechanical purpose 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
latest reply