cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STERLING SILVER NECKLACE WITH TURQUOISE PENDANT - STERLING SILVER NECKLACE WITH GREEN STONE PENDANT

THE BLUE ONE I HAVE BEEN TOLD IS TURQUOISE - BUT I AM PRETTY SURE IT IS NOT.  THE GREENS TONE ONE I HAVE BEEN TOLD IS GREEN JADE BUT I THINK IT IS MALACHITE.  ALL THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED.P1440594.JPGP1440596.JPGP1440598.JPGP1440602.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: STERLING SILVER NECKLACE WITH TURQUOISE PENDANT - STERLING SILVER NECKLACE WITH GREEN STONE PEND

Really don`t know much about gemstones, mimi..but I would think (and I may be wrong)  that genuine turquoise would be cold vs a 'plastic' of some kind would be warm? ??

But wait for those in the know as always 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: STERLING SILVER NECKLACE WITH TURQUOISE PENDANT - STERLING SILVER NECKLACE WITH GREEN STONE PEND

Hi, I would say that green is most likely a jasper, or agate, not malachite.   The turquoise is probably real, just most likely China Mountain, or Afghan.  The Thailand mark was used on alot of QVC jewelery , I think I've seen.  it could be glass, but I think they used genuine stone for the most part.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much.  I do appreciate it.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don't know about the green one, but the turquoise one looks synthetic to me. (I used to collect turquoise jewelry.) If it's stone, it is probably dyed howlite. It looks nearly identical to a piece of dyed turquoise howlite I bought recently.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The turquoise looks like reconsituted turquoise from China, probably sold as real.  The green looks like agate - bloodstone with the red flecks missing.  Not a high dollar stone either way. Malachite has light and darker green wavy lines in it, for lack of a better term. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I hope I may be of help. The dark green certainly does not APPEAR to me to be malachite, but likrly is an agate. Malachite usually has striations,patterned.  There is also faux malachite. You have to know who youbuy from, trust me. Even very experienced jewelers get clobbered when sold fake merchandise by their wholesalers. There are some sellers on big int'l  sites that say .925 for example, and when I question whether it would pass an acid/magnet test, they admit .925  plated...It is against the law to say .925 unless it  is .925 but the general public is gullible & many people are clueless..The turquoise piece you show is also doubtful, as in all my decades in the jewelry biz never saw matrix that color--it may be a synthetic reproduction of turquoise or some kind of magnesite. If you have a  rock shop near you,take the pieces there as they will usually answer a question or two for free, but paying a jeweler costs cash! I have been selling for 40 years & try to steer clear of scammers. If the price is too low, take a pass. If you have ?'s regarding metals, treat yourself to a test kit. They are inexpensive & worth it. Good luck.... if you identify your goods properly, odds are good that they will sell on eBay--the best site online!!!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply