cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions About Faturan, Bakelite and Copal Amber

Does anyone know whether Faturan can be tested with Simichrome as with Bakelite? If so, how can you tell the difference between the two? Lastly, are there any tests I can do to verify Copal (also called African Amber)?

Thanks In Advance!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Keith,

I have some prayer beads I am researching too.  I found this interesting on Faturan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2UoMgn70wI (nothing for sale just research!!!!

Carolyn

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6G7ZvqOucs meant to give you this one too.

Carolyn

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the links, Carolyn. I wish I spoke their language but thank goodness for the ability to translate the comments. If I run into something useful I'll definitely pass it along.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

U.V. and Floatation tests are incanclusive with Copal .

Unfortunately the tests I know for Copal might damage the piece , look for an inconspicuous spot . Take a cotton swab , dip in Alcohol or Acetone , swipe a spot of the Copal . Wait 10 seconds , Copal will become mildly tacky . Copal being much younger is a lot softer than Amber . Take your Thumbnail and scratch a hidden spot , Copal will actually show this scratch , where as Amber will not .

Sorry I have no clue about Faturan , can not help you there .
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ditto Carolyn-.We don't speak this language-DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply