cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Listing - Bidders' Identities Protected

I have been buying and bidding on eBay for many years.  Today, I ran across this listing that I have never seen before.  From what I gather, it is the seller who has it as a private listing.  But, the seller's information is up to view as well as the item up for public bidding so, why or how is there a "private" aspect involved?

I find this uncomfortable and how can you tell if the auction is legitimate and not the seller running up the price by bidding on their own item?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I'm confused. The bidders' identities are always anonymous.

If it was a private listing, how were you able to get in to see it?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Private listing, I think, only refers to the feedback page. When you look at people's feedback, you can usually click on the item to see what they purchased to get/receive that feedback. On a private listing it just says private so no one can see what the item was.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

The help page says it's so buyer's can be anonymous on high ticket items or pharmaceuticals. Only the seller can see the bidder's names.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/private-listings?id=4161&st=2&pos=1&query=Pr...

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

It definitely was not a high ticket item or drugs.  Was a piece of costume jewelry that went for $15.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Yeah, that seems a little fishy!
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I have always seen the bidder's abbreviated login name, how much they bidded, and if you click on their link, can see what they have bidded on recently, in what categorybids2.jpgbids.jpg.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

It is a relic from the time before ebay made ALL Buyer's names anonymous.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:
It is a relic from the time before ebay made ALL Buyer's names anonymous.

Yes. No way for anyone but the seller to see who the bidders are. Their I.D.s are coded.

I 've never seen a private listing and I've been an Ebay member/user sine 1997. There really is such a thing?

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Yes. I tried one once. Worst experience I had as a Seller. Had to deal with a nasty Bully.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

There are some sellers that only list private. Sometimes it's a personal/potentially embarrassing item, sometimes ordinary everyday stuff. I think the option to list a private auction has always been available.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Is it that the listing itself is private, or is it that the seller remains private?

If a listing is private, how would buyers see it?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

A Private Listing is intended to hide the Buyer's ID. (No longer necessary.) It kept eBay Members from searching another Member's Buying History to find out what they had Bid on and /or Bought. eBay has not allowed this type of research for many years ago. It was always about protecting the Buyer /Reseller NOT the Seller. An example, I was approached after the end of an Auction by another member to sell some of the items in the Auction to them.  If the Auction had been Private this could not have happened.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

When I think of the term "Private Listing" I picture it as being by invitation only.

So a Private Listing doesn't mean that the listing is hidden to most? The listing itself isn't private, only the bidders' I.D.s? Or did I already ask that.

The term Private Listing is confusing (to me, anyway).

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

A Private Listing is intended to hide the Buyer's ID. (No longer necessary.) It kept eBay Members from searching another Member's Buying History to find out what they had Bid on and /or Bought. 

I remember those days, long ago. That was a bad idea in the first place, an oversight by Ebay, allowing anyone to see what a buyer bid on. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply