cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me confirm Antique Brooch

I'm quite sure this is an antique brooch because the pin extends way past the brooch.

Also, is this considered repousse work?

Can it be described as Art Nouveou? Thanks in advance!

IMG_7662.JPG

IMG_7663.JPG

IMG_7664.JPG

IMG_7667.JPG

Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think that this brooch is possibly closer to c1940s-50s and that the flower stems have been bent slightly which makes the pin seem longer.

p.s. The flowers look like repoussé style but fabricated.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I suspect that is a replacement pin stem, the way the hinge is constructed doesn't look that old. It also looks like it has a rollover clasp missing its rollover, is that right? If I were to guess, I would say not antique yet, maybe 1950s or 60s.

Repousse is hand work, an artisan places a piece of silver on a soft ground and using tools, taps from the back pushing the design out with the ground supporting the silver. The depth of that flower center would be very, very hard for an artisan to do as every time you push the silver it become thinner and thinner. Your piece looks to me to be machine made rather than hand work, but that's JMHO Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

OOOHHH, good point about the stem being bent. I wonder if the stem were straightened would the rollover clasp be seated at the right angle to work with the pin stem?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Well, I'm glad I came here and asked! What you're saying makes perfect sense! I bent the stems back a bit and the pin fits as it probably should now. Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated! 

Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 5 of 5
latest reply