cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT kind of..zero bidder Q

So I just started selling again last month after being off eBay for over a year. I’m in the learning curve again! I think I made a mistake but looking for others thoughts. I would swear that I used to set my auctions to not allow zero bidders in the past but I guess I missed checking a box this time around and now I have a zero bidder from Hong Kong. I know buyers have to start somewhere, lol, I just wish it wasn’t my auction. If I’m bidding on something for myself I always look at the other bidders. I don’t know if it’s a thing anymore but in the early eBay days shill bidding was always a concern of mine. Sometimes I would get the feeling that someone was bidding up their own items with new acct. and I would stop bidding. Obviously if someone looked at my bidder they would see it’s a Hong Kong acct and I am in the US but I don’t like the optics and fear it will stop bidders. Also, I like offering international sales and have never had a big problem in the past but zero feedback on an acct opened a few days ago makes me nervous too.  Am I just worrying for no reason? Where are you folks on allowing zero bidders?
P.s. we’re not talking about a lot of potential lost money here, but every dollar matters at this moment, lol!! (Thank you if you read this whole thing...didn’t realize I was going to write this much!) 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

There isn't an option to block new users.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Really? Lol. I would swear that was an option before. Well that helps explain why I didn’t check the box! Thanks

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You can block bidders with less than zero feedback, but not zero.  Since sellers can't leave negs for buyers even that limit doesn't mean much.  You can block bidders outside of the USA, but not noobs across the board. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

What is “less than zero” feedback? Maybe that’s what I’m kind of remembering having checked off moons ago. Hmmm. I don’t want to block international buyers though. I have really had good experiences in general over the years. (Knock on wood)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I haven't seen a negative number feedback seller or buyer in ages.  It doesn't happen much any more if at all.  If someone catches a bunch of negs as a new seller their feedback can go to -3 or whatever instead of 3 or 33.  Since sellers can't leave negs any more, it's rare to see it now.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I think you answered your question  lol  We ALL had to start someplace AND at some time.   If ya see something you want buy on Ebay..you have to register.  So, everyone is gonna be brand new for awhile

I understand your  concern, butI`m sure  most new buyers do just fine.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

New bidders are not always a problem, I have had very few instances of that.   I am not sure that you need to worry about the account being in HK, and other bidders seeing.   maybe it is just because I have bought so much over the years, I don't even think to look at others bidders!  not sure it would even show where they are from? to anyone but seller.  In any case, if they do not send payment, you can always file non-payment, and get your fees back.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Worked out fine! Thanks

Message 9 of 9
latest reply