cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O.T. FVF International Fee when Shipping Within The U.S.

So I admit since hubby passed I have not been keeping up with the policy changes.

Now that EBay is managing payments even if the buyer has us ship to a U.S. address, if they're registered address isn't in the U.S. we're still charged the international fee??

I stopped selling overseas a while ago. Last week I sold an item and the fees seems higher than expected. So I looked into it and there was the international fee. Looked a little further and even though I shipped to the U.S. I looked at their profile and it showed they were in China.

I called EBay, actually got a rep in the U.S.! She explained that they've had a lot of sellers complaining. The reps are taking notes and submitting them to the powers that be. 

Maybe I'm the last one to find this out but I thought I'd share 😞

Pauline (vernon1959)

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: O.T. FVF International Fee when Shipping Within The U.S.

@old.crows.nest wrote:

I never actually purchased anything using the GSP. In fact I stopped purchasing from ebay as soon as I saw the changes in S&H options to one exclusive secretive all inclusive service. I believe that Duties and Taxes are MY responsibility not a third party. I have no way to know if legitimate amounts were paid to my Government or what bonus is going to the shipper.

Do you know for sure if the store down the street is remitting the taxes you pay when you purchase goods from them?

My experience with casual imports from the US handled by carriers such as FedEx is that the taxes are handled in a manner similar to that of the GSP, even if I have to pay to receive the item.  If the taxes aren't charged or folded into the shipping charge at the time the shipment is arranged, the carrier or its designate advances the taxes to ensure the item passes through customs quickly and the I repay them at the time of delivery.

@old.crows.nest wrote:

I was no longer given an option on what would have been my Personal or Business purchases from the US. Most of my purchases were kept under $20. All of a sudden the extra costs started at + $20 estimation. Which may or may not be higher at check out?

I saw this lack of disclosure / breakdown as off-putting. If there is nothing hinky then be upfront.

What is this "option" to which you're referring?  The "option" I know of is "buy it or leave it."

The estimate the "GSP bot" calculates for the import charges is based on information on the buyer's location (which may change at Checkout from the one being used when viewing the listing page) and information on the item from the seller.  It doesn't really 'know" what the item is specifically for the most part, just its category, and this is one of the GSP's (and eIS's) big weaknesses.  If the item reaches the Global Shipping Center and it turns out to be somewhat different than what the seller's information suggests, the pad built into the import charges helps mitigate that.  If I found a listing where the "pad" above my calculation of GST was over US$5.00, I'd assume that the seller really messed things up when creating the listing and I'd give the item a pass.

I had the roof of my house re-done a couple of years ago.  I didn't receive a detailed estimate explaining how much of what I was paying went to materials, labour, various insurances the contractor carried, or contingencies in case something went awry while doing the job.  It was what it was.  I guess you'd consider this to be a lack of disclosure or breakdown.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@marnotom! 

I can see that your attachment to using the GSP is beneficial to you. 

My experience is different which was why I made the choice to not purchase on ebay.

With regards to the store down the road, the remittance of taxes does not worry me as much as weights and measures abuses.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

I can see that your attachment to using the GSP is beneficial to you. 

My experience is different which was why I made the choice to not purchase on ebay.

Yes, the GSP was useful to me in purchasing cell phones and a musical instrument, but it didn't make sense for most of the other items I was searching.  When sellers used it to its best advantage, it worked quite well. 

If sellers started shipping their ten-dollar items to Canada with a very expensive next-day shipper, I think we'd have the sense not to conclude that that shipping method sucked, only that it was inappropriate for inexpensive items.  Same goes with GSP and eIS.  It makes sense for some items, not so much for others.  I don't think either of us can make blanket statements to the effect that these forwarding schemes are wonderful or awful; it all depends on how they're used.

It's unfortunate that you were unable to find sellers who were willing to ship to Canada with an alternative to GSP's forwarding system, @old.crows.nest, but judging by all the stuff my wife orders from the US through non-eBay digital marketplaces, it appears that direct shipments through the postal system are becoming rare.  Consolidation and forwarding systems seem to be ruling the roost.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply