cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KJL Cuff bracelet finish issue, help please.

I have this 1970's signed KJL, Kenneth J Lane, cuff bracelet and I am wondering about the finish.  I haven't been able to find a match for this particular piece to see how the finish should look.  I did give it a quick wipe with a sunshine cloth but I am wondering if I should give it a good polish.  I am not even sure if the pictures will be helpful but I would appreciate any suggestions or opinions. The tiger on the front is perfect. Thank you for looking.resize 1.jpgresize 2.jpgresize 3.jpg 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The finished is oxidized (tarnished).  The jeweler in me says to polish it up bright, but the estate jeweler in me says to just leave it alone.

Even though this is not antique, most estate jewelry dealers I have encountered, whether it's selling to them or repairing or restoring pieces for them, do not want the "patina" removed.  It would be an easy enough job to re-oxidize it, but my recommendation would be to leave it as-is...but with an offer to polish the piece if the buyer wanted.

Someone with better knowledge of this designer may know more than me about it, though...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Can you get a close up of the mark, ageless?  I`ve tried enlarging it but can`t. 

You definitely have an 'elusive' piece  lol 

I agree with  idealgems..I`d leave as is & let the new owner do as they wish. If it was sterling, wouldn`t be a problem..but not knowing the metal I wouldn`t wanna risk it.  

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Here's a close up of the mark.  It is definitely KJL with the copyright symbol.

DSCN37442.JPG

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks.  Reason I asked I wasn`t seeing any periods. 

According RJC  this particular mark was used in 1990 (sorry couldn`t capture the pic)

https://www.costumejewelrycollectors.com/vintage-costume-jewelry-research/costume-jewelry-marks/rese...

• Mark:   Â© KJL (no periods)  c. 1990; known to be used on pieces made in mass for QVC   

Maybe searching QVC archives might help?  Just a thought

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

That's a tough call without knowing the metal composition. I'd try a little Simichrome on a small spot on the inside and see if it shines up a little more.  It's a cool cuff.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You could try the magnet test. If it sticks it is not sterling. It looks like it is but it can fool you sometimes. Looking back at Kenneth Jay Lane it looks like he did specialize in a lot of costume jewelry. Either way it is a really neat cuff.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.  I will do the testing as suggested and go from there. 

I usually have pretty good luck with KJL pieces but this one really had me stumped with its condition.

Thank you 1940fc for the date correction. Hope you all have a great day.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Just wanted to update you all on this bracelet.  It did not stick to a magnet but since it is not marked sterling, I do not know what metal it is and that's ok.  I tried a small amount of simichrome to back area and it came out nice so I decided to go ahead and polish the whole bracelet.  It cleaned up beautifully and I feel better about listing it in a shiny condition.  After the cleaning, it was difficult to photograph because of reflections but here is a picture in its brightly shining condition. Thank you all for help.

kjl resize 2.jpgKJL resize.jpg

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

That polished up really nicely, ageless! Simichrome is not just for bakelite 😀!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Looks great!  Should do very well for you..this is one time I`d probably go ahead & use the word rare  since no others can be found like it or else they`re just hiding!  lol

Kinda reminds me of modern jewelry marked BEST.  It will tarnish up just like sterling..but it also polishes up just like sterling..even tho it`s not.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply