cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on age of a Cameo- 1800's or early 1900's?

I purchased this Cameo at a garage sale over the weekend. It's not marked but tests as 14k gold.  The pin closure could be a re-do or is the figure just made to look old.  Opinions? The nose looks messed up and the whole figure looks crudely done.  It also has a crack in the edge of the gold frame. I don't usually come across "real" Cameos. Thanks for any help!

IMG_5732.JPGIMG_5731.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Heck out how to date the clasps on 

www.morninggloryjewelry.com 

it helps date them 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

cameo_1.jpg

Hi, I would like to test the solder in that area. Would you please drop very small amount of 14K acid on Solder Spot and tell me what is the color you see!? Thanks 

I have very good idea what has happened to this piece 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The "Morning" is a great source!

I advise caution, however.  The pin has been repaired (indicated by the pad under the catch). Dating the finding would be the date of repair only. 

The pin and cameo may be different ages.  Does the cameo move or rattle in the setting?

Dating the cameo relies on the subject, and for portraits, on the hair style, body size, mode of dress, and shape of the nose. 

Such cameo dating clues are only helpful, however, if the cameo is an authentic, hand carved antique.  Your cameo looks old and worn, but also appears machine carved, without attention to fine detail, in my experience.

My hasty opinion is only meant to encourage caution and thought. I hope you find yours is a valuable original!!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Pin and at least clasp side has been replaced or added possibly after a swivel broke.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you all for your input. The cameo does not move or rattle, It does look rough, no well done details. Seems a little crude but so does the surrounding gold, like it was quickly made. The clasp does appear replaced. When purchased I believe the woman said it was "in the family a while".  My Mom liked it and I gave it to her. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

-This Cameo has been taken off and placed back on. Interruption on left side of bezel is the obvious sign.

-There is nothing 'crude'  here. In 1880s, no goldsmith did 'quick made' jobs. The workmanship is authentic and obviously American. The jewelry art and everyone working in this industry at the time, Victorian/Gilded Age era, had nothing to rush about

-We all see; repairs had damaged the piece. Since you're not willing to acid test the solder to figure out the alloy, we don't know when the catch was replaced. If such date was made, the Age of Make will become obvious.  This piece might be older than 1880s!

Anyway,

Good Luck 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"My Mom liked it and I gave it to her. " And that is, in my view, the happiest possible ending!!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply